cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userczONX7DjOI
Asteroid

Samsung J4 locks seconds after unlock

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This problem appeared yesterday morning with seemingly no cause. I went to bed with the phone working just fine, and when I woke up, it was locking itself. I have been working on solutions for hours now, resetting the cache, trying to disable the lock screen, making sure no buttons are stuck on a case, etcetera, all to no avail. I'm tempted to give up and factory reset the thing, as no one seems to have this problem, but there are files and photos I would rather get off of the phone. Files don't appear unless I have it unlocked, though, so the problem goes full circle. At this point, I'm open to suggestions.

Do note, I was playing around with a feature called "Screen saver" in the previous weekend, and the previous night my phone crashed while using Google Maps and VLC Media Player at the same time, so maybe there's a memory problem a reset can't fix or I just made some horrible combination that bricked this thing.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung J4 locks seconds after unlock

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend giving the device a factory reset. Please decrypt any passwords and back up all data prior to doing so.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does this occur with the device in safe mode?

userczONX7DjOI
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, weirdly enough.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you updated the device recently?

userczONX7DjOI
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, I haven't. I don't think there's been an update since about July.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend giving the device a factory reset. Please decrypt any passwords and back up all data prior to doing so.

View solution in original post

userczONX7DjOI
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In the seconds I had before it locked itself, I backed up my photos to google drive and selected "share" to text my contacts file to a friend. Then I reset. Yeah, I have no idea what was causing it to lock itself, but a reset definitely stopped it.