cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung has a bloatware/partnership problem.

Currently I have a S8 but I still use my S4 a lot as well (I'm actually using the S4 to write this post). Today I decided to power up a few of my other older Galaxy models and I was so disappointed in how the bloat has held up over the years.

In my experiment, I decided to launch every 3rd party app/bloat on these devices and the end results wasn't good, half of them no longer worked and failed to launch, some didn't even show up in the app store anymore, and majority of them were not compatible with the devices anymore. This makes me question whether or not the money I spent over the years on these devices including my S8 is even worth it if the bloat apps forced upon us won't even work on these devices anymore after a few years.

Is the money from these partnerships that you do which enables non removable bloat, ram loss, and overall security risks really worth more than your customers?Customers are NOW deciding to keep these devices longer since revisions to newer devices lately have been so incremental that they're not worth the upgrade/money spent.

When I bought my unlocked S8 I was okay with 1st party bloat from Samsung but the other bloat, a lot of us could live without. Facebook still being pre installed on most US models including newer models like the S10s and to still not allow customers the ability to completely remove/uninstall anything related to Facebook after all the MESS is troubling to see. Overall after this experiment, to see 90% of the non removable bloat not working on older models today and the memory, security, and overall performance sacrificed for money $$$ has me baffled and questioning my next upgrade. I will give you this, for the most part you do listen to your customers and have resolved lots of issues based on customers' feedback alone but to still ignore ONE of your two most notable complaints FOR YEARS Updates and Bloat is ridiculous. Updates I get it, you don't make money off developing them and sending them out but Bloat you can fix! All money isn't good money and it's trifling that you STILL continue to work with companies (examples Facebook and Peel) that the population has canceled for their behavior a long time ago is beyond me!

3 REPLIES 3
useruOKTpcLHFC
Constellation

I hate what happens to my S8 after this last year of upda...

I hate what happens to my S8 after this last year of updates many features don't work properly my battery life is none existent anymore and I do not use my phone very much just 4 to 6 phone calls a day some texting a bit of pinterest and once in awhile YouTube and then no battery left. I actually charge it 2 to3 times a day! Seriously I do not use my phone at all compared to others. I took my phone off the charger and drove to work (I close everything in background) and an hour later down 15%down with no usage and nothing in background on! 5 phone calls lasting a couple of minutes down to 65%. My phone in the beginning lasted 2 days before needing to charge.WHY

Netrider
Constellation

Re: Samsung has a bloatware/partnership problem.

I just spent $800 on my new S10 only to find the bloatware is even more intrusive than ever.  I'm an experienced software person.  Give me a platform, some documentation, and get out of the way.  All this partnership and Samsung software I'm FORCED to subject myself to is just outrageous.  The latest outrage are the fan stickers on the messaging app.  I didn't spend all this money on my this my FOURTH Samsung phone just to have STICKERS inflicted on me in the default messaging app.  DROP THE STICKERS!!!

StormCatcher
Constellation

I totally agree... I have never cared for Apple, but I am...

I totally agree... I have never cared for Apple, but I am reconsidering now that I have found malware on my s9, have factory reset multiple times and its still plaguing me! I am convinced that Samsungs bloatware makes their phones vulnerable. I will add Google to this list, too. Android is NOT as safe as they would like you to believe. Malware is designed to run incognito to evade detection and removal. I have to wonder how many people are infected and will never have a clue? The bottom line for me is why should we pay hundreds of dollars to be spyed on and eavesdropped upon by our phones for the purpose of making manufacturers and their affiliates money? It should be illegal. I am afraid to shop online, enter my cc numbers, or soc sec numbers over my phone for fear of where my data records end up. It is an outrageous civil right violation, IMO. I am about ready to unplug, as much as I like having information at my fingertips, I cannot stomach the thought of my every click online being recorded or viewed, or in someones database somewhere.