JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Smart Switch (Phone-->PC Backup) not working - Update failed

(Topic created: 11-16-2023 04:15 AM)
Tony Wick
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I have the latest PC version and Mobile version of Smart Switch.

When I connect PC and Mobile, the PC version says Smart Switch needs an update.  When I click ok, it reports "update failed" on the PC side.  This is preventing me from performing a backup.  Please advise?

Note - I've tried reinstalling both versions (PC & Mobile) and I get this error on two handsets - 22 Ultra and 23 Ultra - and on 2 different PCs, both running Windows 10.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Solution
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices

use Smart Switch to back up your phone to a SSD if you have one. otherwise, the "failure to update" message from your PC sounds like more of an issue with the PC and not Samsung.

Tony Wick
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Will look into the approach for using an SSD but regarding your comment about a PC issue... firstly, it worked a while back and also I get the same error on two different PCs (as mentioned) that had both work previously (on older versions of the software). 

0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices

As a rule, I don't back up to my PC. I use a SSD. I've found that approach faster and less cumbersome.

Tony Wick
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

What Mobile App do you use to perform the backup (to the SSD)?

0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I use Smart Switch to back up to the SSD. In my case, I'm using a Samsung SSD, and there's a corresponding Play Store app for use with that hardware. You still use Smart Switch to perform the back up.

Tony Wick
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I'm running it now.  Many thanks for your help and quick response. 🙂

notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices

no worries. take care.