JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Text Messages stuck "downloading"

(Topic created: 04-19-2023 08:33 PM)
BC8
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

My Samsung A42 has many issues receiving text messages. Some come in fine. Some come in and show "downloading" for several minutes before opening. Some come in and require clicking a "download" button to trigger the download before opening. Some others never come in and are lost permanently with no record of ever receiving them. If the "stuck dowloading" messages are part of a group text, they get stuck in my inbox from the individual sender rather than my group text inbox. If you find it there and are able to download it, it will dissappear from that inbox and show up in the group text box where it belongs  when finally downloaded. I know of at least 4 other people with other Samsung phones A32/A42/A52..) having exact same issue and all have different service providers.  I have been attempting several times to speak with Samsung tech support, but this is getting nowhere. It seems the issue is very well known. I have missed several important text messages that I found out about well after sent and believe still many others lost without me ever  knowing. Please respond if you are having this issue to help get this resolved.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hello, We understand how frustrating it is when Messages do not download. There are some steps you can try to correct the behavior.

1. Check the attachment size
First, check the size of the attachment that you want to send or receive. Often, your carrier will limit the MMS file size. Different carriers have different file size limits.

2. Restart your phone
Restarting your phone can solve many issues, so this is generally a good solution to try. After the restart completes, check if you can send or receive your MMS message.

3. Check your network connection
A poor network connection is another possible reason for an MMS not sending or downloading. To check your mobile data connection, see if you have 2 or more signal bars. If not, try moving to a place where you have more signal. You can verify your network connection by attempting to load a website in your browser.

4. Turn on mobile data
Perhaps you need to check your settings to ensure that mobile data is enabled. Go to Settings > Wireless and Network Settings > Mobile Networks > Mobile Data and ensure that the toggle is enabled.

5. Clear data in the Messages app
Another possibility is that the Messages app has too much data and can’t receive your messages. Try clearing the data by going to Settings > Apps > Messages > Storage. Then, tap Clear cache. If that doesn’t work, you can also try Clear data, but this will also remove your message history.

If the messages are still not downloading, you will need to reach out to your service provider for additional assistance, as they are responsible for this service.

View solution in context

4 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Talk to your carrier for assistance. SMS/MMS texting is a carrier feature.
0 Likes
BC8
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

NOPE. Not for this. I have been on a 3way call with provider and Samsung. This issue is on Samsung devices over at a mi imum of 4 different providers. I also have 2 different brand phone with same provider and never had issue.

DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
This is an issue with the Samsung Messages app? Not, Google Messages or other texting app?
0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hello, We understand how frustrating it is when Messages do not download. There are some steps you can try to correct the behavior.

1. Check the attachment size
First, check the size of the attachment that you want to send or receive. Often, your carrier will limit the MMS file size. Different carriers have different file size limits.

2. Restart your phone
Restarting your phone can solve many issues, so this is generally a good solution to try. After the restart completes, check if you can send or receive your MMS message.

3. Check your network connection
A poor network connection is another possible reason for an MMS not sending or downloading. To check your mobile data connection, see if you have 2 or more signal bars. If not, try moving to a place where you have more signal. You can verify your network connection by attempting to load a website in your browser.

4. Turn on mobile data
Perhaps you need to check your settings to ensure that mobile data is enabled. Go to Settings > Wireless and Network Settings > Mobile Networks > Mobile Data and ensure that the toggle is enabled.

5. Clear data in the Messages app
Another possibility is that the Messages app has too much data and can’t receive your messages. Try clearing the data by going to Settings > Apps > Messages > Storage. Then, tap Clear cache. If that doesn’t work, you can also try Clear data, but this will also remove your message history.

If the messages are still not downloading, you will need to reach out to your service provider for additional assistance, as they are responsible for this service.