cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

The Galaxy XCover Pro is a step in the right direction! But it needs better hardware and carriers!

The Galaxy XCover Pro is the first Samsung phone I've purchased since my Galaxy Nexus.  It's the first phone I've even been interested in, from Samsung, in many years!    A huge part of this is it's removable battery, MicroSD card slot,  headphone jack, notification LED, repairable and durable design, and latest version of Android. These are all huge benefits to this phone and what made me purchase it.

However, it falls short badly, in a few ways.  Samsung is a large enough company where some of these just shouldn't be happening and others could be greatly improved.  In order of priority, what I'd love to see changed with this phone:

1.) First and foremost, cellular carriers need to actually be able to sell it to consumers!  Verizon only sells it as an enterprise phone, so I had to buy it off Amazon.  As a result, Verizon basically won't provide support for it.  This also limits features available, such as:

2.) I can't get VoLTE / Advanced Calling / HD Voice / Video Calling available on this phone because Verizon says it's not supported for consumer use. I know the hardware supports it, but this is a classic OEM / Carrier / Software problem where the two companies need to work together to fully support the platform.   It's tragic that you've taken the time to make such an awesome phone, and then it can't be used to it's full potential due to carrier / software issues! 

3.) This is clearly made with mid-tier components, which is OK, as I was upgrading from a 5 year old LG V10, so it's still an improvement.  But I would LOVE to see this exact phone, upgraded, as a top tier phone.  The Xcover Pro+ perhaps?  Specifically, I'd like to see:
     a.) An IR Blaster.  Hardware wise, this is the thing I miss most from my LG V10 and V20.  I used it all the time for remote controlling my devices!  
     b.) More RAM 
     c.) Faster CPU / GPU.  Maybe from an older phone that was top tier, like a Note 9 or something?
     d.) A higher resolution screen - my V10/V20 were 1440p, and this is 1080p.   
     e.) Wide angle front facing camera

All in all, I love my XCover Pro, but it really needs better carrier support before it is ready for mass usage, and it's a shame that I can't use it to it's full potential yet. Likewise, I could see future versions of this phone being greatly improved.    Please consider making a new version and expanding support for the current one.  I will gladly buy an upgraded one.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: The Galaxy XCover Pro is a step in the right direction! But it needs better hardware and carrie

Agreed! I switched to the XCover Pro from the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - which has the IR Blaster and a wacom stylus (which is essentially a mini mouse with hover and right click for linux chroots and various remote desktops, as well as drawing darn good pictures).

IR Blaster is a feature I was disappointed not to find.  

I was also disappointed at the limitations of the button rebinding for the user, without using enterprise scripting.  The hardware buttons are awesome, but the set of actions is quite limited compared to what Button Mapper (as an example) could do if it was allowed, or Samsung could have hooked up.  Random example, autodialing a specified contact.

This sort of thing can be fixed with rooting, but I've been trying to avoid it on this phone.

On the subject of rooting, the default Samsung Blue light filter is abysmal, and is little more than a strawish colour even late at night.  There is no configurability compared to CF.Lumen, and almost does more harm than good at night by simulating a daylight-like illumination.  This more than anything might drive me to root again, which could possibly also improve the buttons.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: The Galaxy XCover Pro is a step in the right direction! But it needs better hardware and carrie

I got this phone unlocked and am running it on my ATT carrier by inserting the sim card in the phone.

its a solid phone and closest thing to the prior ACTIVE line that was retired. 

does the xcover Pro run 5G on the network??? I never see 5G on the top of the screen like I did on my s8 active. I only see LTE. not sure what the differences in speed are between LTE and 5G? 

anyone able to locate VIBRATE INTENSITY/HAPTIC FEEDBACK for keyboard and button pushes? I cant find it on the xCover Pro and its driving me insane. had samsung galaxies back to the s3 and this was always part of the software. wonder if it is a bug?

also dissapointed this phone doesn't allow you to unwake it by hitting the home screen key at bottom middle of the phone. you have to lift to awake it or hit the fingerprint key. anyone else found any ways to make the home screen key awake the phone? 

lastly, there is a bug where when the screen turns off after inactivity it does not lock automatically. when I awake the phone it is already unlocked without any passcode or fingerprint. anyone else experiencing this? 

on this phone I am running.
current version:G715U1UES3AATF1/G715U10YM3ATF1/G715U1UES3ATF1
Security patch level: July 1, 2020
my last successful update was 7/18/20 at 1:52 PM

Highlighted
Constellation

I've found haptic feedback in the keyboard settings.  limited though. 
I used "hackers keyboard" from the play store for years on my prior phone (Samsung Rugby Pro) and it works fine on the XcoverPro. Lot's more customization, etc.