cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

The smartphone samsung is missing

What I am wanting to put on here is to see Samsung currently came out with the FE but is there anything in the works of making a phone that is not any bigger or even could be a little smaller then the regular s20 but built like to FE the housing or like a upgraded s10E but with a 40 megapixel or better rear camera as well as a decent front at least a 12mp and 120GB storage or better with at least 6GB of RAM because seems like every phone keeps getting bigger and that's not what I want and I would say you are missing out on a whole generation or demographic of people that like me are looking for a phone like I'm describing to you a mixture of a little bit rugged but still very capable cuz again the rugged phone you guys offer is yet again bigger with cameras that aren't that good and lacks ram and storage most generally people who buy and rugged phones for business purposes need storage need good camera and need to be very capable but not necessarily a big screen and budget-friendly would be great so if you can let me know if something like this is on the horizon of being made I would love to upgrade my phone.
Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: The smartphone samsung is missing

Unfortunately looking at the market from a business perspective I don't believe this is going to happen any time soon for a few reasons. Durable phones have become a thing of the past as glass phones allow Samsung to make more money when you break your phones, allow cell signals to be received and sent easier, and allow for features like wireless charging to exist. This fragility of expensive phones is annoying to me too. Smaller phones are also becoming a niche market. Samsung is always going to appeal to the largest market first as it is going to allow them to make the most immediate profit. The average consumer is more and more using their smartphone as their primary computing, media consumption, and communicating device. This means that a majority of people are buying larger display phones. The market is pushing Samsung towards developing larger phones with larger displays and more aggressive screen to body ratios. When it comes to rugged phones with really nice cameras and fast processors with a lot of ram phones aren't going to have that for a while. to make a rugged phone they usually have display glass that is thicker and has extra plastic layers to prevent it breaking. This thickness and these layers unfortunately distort and blur the image coming into the sensor. So if the image is already going to be blurred or distorted due to the protective glasses and materials what's the point of putting a high quality camera sensor in it that you won't be able to get good pictures out of anyways? Might as well put a lower quality sensor in it and use the savings elsewhere in the phone. As for the processor and ram unfortunately heat production and dissipation is still a thing with these processors and metal and glass do a far better job of dissipating that heat and rubbers and plastics (that durable phones are made of) aren't so great at dissipating heat. Since you can't sacrifice the water resistance rating on a rugged phone to allow more air flow and better heat dissipation the only way to deal with the heat is to put a lower power processor and ram into the device as it will not produce as much heat and therefore as good heat dissipation is not required. If they develop such a device, due to the massive amount of redesigning, optimization, and material science research that is required as well as the cost of parts such a device would have a flagship price tag like the Z fold or even higher. Unfortunately since this generation or demographic you speak of statistically, when compared to sales figures, is a very small niche of the market there really isn't enough of a profit in it for Samsung to focus their efforts on such a device when they can keep going as they have and continue making bank like they have been. If that is the kind of phone you want your best bet is to buy a S20 and put an otter box and screen protector on it if you're that worried about it. Sorry to be so cold about it but it's the truth. 🤷‍♂️
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: The smartphone samsung is missing

I very much appreciate your response and yes you make some great points but yes I get it just like any other big company they don't care about the little guy or if they're losing customers as long as they're making that many or more new ones and they're going to keep doing what makes the most money but maybe someday when they have some free time they'll try to appeal something to one of the smaller markets like what I'm talking about compared to the people who rather hold a tablet next to their head but anyways back to the phone as far as the glass that is not the biggest deal the phone I currently have does have a glass back and front I've always use a case and a screen protector and have never had a problem but still as far as the screen size I'm not saying make the phone tiny cuz in reality the phone I have now is not much smaller than the S20 the point is that each time they come out with a new model the smallest version keeps getting a little bigger and a little bigger and as far as the heat I understand certain materials dissipate heat better than other materials but there are companies making rugged smartphones that height and width are smaller than the s20 but yes they are thicker like if it comes with a case already on it because it is a rugged phone and they offer at least a 40mp camera with a 16 Front and 120 to over 200 in storage and 8 GB of RAM with wireless charging  and over a 4000 milliamp battery and a handful of features that Samsung phones don't offer but mainly because it's a rugged phone but they fit it in that size phone with the price range from around 250 to 500 so in other words half the price the only trade-off is you're not paying for the name Samsung which obviously is a much larger company than the one I'm talking about and in turn Samsung should have a better more reliable phone and that's what you're paying for but you can't say that's always the case so I'm not really saying I want a rugged phone but maybe like you said I should just buy the s20 maybe they should make a budget-friendly s20 like the s10e it was a little bit smaller not really sure on what features all changed but if you get rid of some of the unnecessary new fancy features that you probably won't even use you should be to shrink the size a little bit and give the features that people would want and actually use look a good camera good store good Ram so you still have a good functioning phone at a decent budget price in which I would consider this phone a business phone but when I say that I feel like most people think of someone who goes to a office every day and that's not what I'm talking about I would say that is the demographic they're missing the people who get dirty for a living basically anyone who works in an industry of fixing and repair or Construction and are not able to have a tablet in their pocket while they work.