Unable to update - alternatives to wiping?

Asteroid

Unable to update - alternatives to wiping?

I have an S7 edge currently on Android 8.0.0. I've tried dozens of times to update the software - shows Version G935PVPU7CRG3 form July of 2018, and get an error every time saying it's unable to update. I've removed a few of the more recent apps that I've installed, but still getting an error. Samsung has told me to start the process off by doing a factory reset of the phone - I'm wondering if there are alternatives to doing a factory reset? 

10 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Unable to update - alternatives to wiping?

@userQW5k1RS3yc, Thank you for reaching out. We would agree with your first recommendation.

You can locate the steps to manually update the S7 edge here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077582/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Asteroid

I'm not making any recommendations - I'm asking for alternatives to doing a factory reset. I assume, since you're a Samsung moderator, that you're suggesting a factory reset - the reason I'm posting here is to see if there are alternatives to that. Do you have an alternate suggestion?
Asteroid

Well I did a factory data reset and tried to update, got the same error I did before, so what now?
Samsung Moderator

@userQW5k1RS3yc Thanks for reaching out. What type of phone are you using?

Asteroid

I have an s7 edge, model SM-G935P, Android 8.0, Software version G935PVPU6CRE7, Hardware version REV0.7. 

Samsung Moderator

@userQW5k1RS3yc Does the error message pop up if you place the phone in safe mode?

Asteroid

Yes it does, just tried to update in Safe Mode and got the same error message

Samsung Moderator

@userQW5k1RS3yc Have you tried clearing the cache using these steps here?

Asteroid

I tried to update via Smart Switch and it looks like that worked.