JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unlocked Phones in Other Countries

(Topic created: 11-23-2020 07:16 AM)
Kdrewh
Comet
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I currently live in the US and I'm wanting to purchase a phone for a friend in Mexico. If I order through Samsung USA, will the device work for my friend who lives in Mexico as well or is there a different model for Mexico? (I know this may be a dumb question but I don't know if I don't ask right?)...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Other Mobile Devices

There are a couple of things.

1. You don't want a carrier locked device so be sure you get an unlocked device.
  2. Cellular bands are different between some countries. So a unlocked US device might work in another country but be limited based on compatible cellular bands. 

View solution in context

4 Replies
ChrYoshi
Galaxy
Options
Other Mobile Devices
if it's the unlocked by Samsung model, it should work.
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I think it would depend on the cellular towers. You might want to get "Carrier Specific" when purchasing for them (whether its prepay or otherwise) check which carriers have the best coverage and go from there. You'd hate to purchase a Verizon based phone and he or she only have good coverage on ATT or something. Phones can be transferred from carrier to carrier or you can buy carrier unlocked. I'd weigh the pros and cons of each. Alot of carriers are offering really great benefits for switching carriers because obviously they are taking their competitors customer base. So getting a factory unlocked phone wont give you those same perks as opposed to switching carriers would. So do a little shopping of which towers are best in your friends area then from there see what great deals that particular carrier offers. They might have a deal for first time customers and a totally different one for switching so if you brought them a Verizon phone (paid off) to say...T-mobile they might say "Hey you get a $200 gift card for switching" or "heres a free headphones and case package" or something to that extent. Hope that Helps
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Other Mobile Devices

There are a couple of things.

1. You don't want a carrier locked device so be sure you get an unlocked device.
  2. Cellular bands are different between some countries. So a unlocked US device might work in another country but be limited based on compatible cellular bands. 
Kdrewh
Comet
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I did get the unlocked. I'm sure hoping it works for them. If not, maybe I can return it or sell it.