Original topic:

Will Samsung every fix the auto-screen intensity issues for the XCoverPro?

(Topic created: 03-08-2022 09:23 AM)
LightGuy48
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Will Samsung every fix the auto-screen intensity issues for the XCoverPro??

I just received an updated yesterday to Kernel 4.14.113-21553420 and the same issues persist.  The auto-intensity will work for maybe a day and while the service is running it will drain the battery at an incredible rate, generally 5% or more an hour.  As best as I can tell when the service is running it's checking for light levels even when the screen is off which is dumb.  

Eventually after several hours or a day the screen intensity service shuts down and you have to adjust intensity manually until the phone is rebooted again.

Also the camera software is kludgy, when you open the camera and rotate the phone it take a long time for the screen to rotate and sometimes after rotating the image shrinks down to 1/3 of the screen, eventually it resizes to full screen but clearly something is buggy.  Additionally with the sluggishness of rotating when you hit the button to take picture about 50% of time it won't take a picture it takes a couple of tries for the picture to capture.

I can't help but wonder if the two issues are not related considering Samsung has done away with the light intensity sensor in favor of using the camera to detect light intensity.

6 Replies
dleew
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Sheesh! This explains so much for what I'm experiencing on my XCover Pro!

The camera is nearly unsuable, and I have missed some good shots so far! Not sure about the auto-brightness, I wonder how I check to see if I have the same battery drain, but I do have to charge the phone at least twice a day.

LightGuy48
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

If you swipe down on the screen so you can see the screen intensity slider and then hit the down caret on the right side you can disable the adaptive brightness, you might want to then reboot.

When I have it turned on it will easily blow through 1/2 to 2/3 of my battery in a day, with it turned off I'm lucky to use 1/4 of my battery.

I can't believe Samsung cannot fix this issue, it's very very simple, if the screen is on then turn the camera on to check intensity, if the screen is off then turn it off and save battery!! It's not rocket science...

Also like you I've had countless issues taking pictures and yeah I've found out later I missed pictures too... but since the adaptive brightness doesn't work right sometimes it's impossible to see if the picture/preview updated after trying to snap a picture... 

NicLyon
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Yes, I have both these same issues on the Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro. I've never been a big camera user but the adaptive screen brightness has been extremely handy on all my previous phones (non-Samsung, this is my first Samsung but as a Linux dev I was an early adopter of Android so it's a long history of adaptive screen brightness being extremely handy for me)

This is the first phone I turned it off and forever kept it off because of how fast it kills my battery...

So bump to this thread.
LightGuy48
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

So I received a Samsung OneUI upgrade last week and over the weekend I turned the adaptive brightness back on and so far for a couple of days my battery is not getting sucked dry...

Maybe... just maybe... this is fixed???

0 Likes
NicLyon
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I'll try it in a few days (when keeping my phone alive isn't mission critical) and report back the subjective results. If nothing else, it'll be anecdotal evidence.
0 Likes
LightGuy48
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

So I have been running on this version for three weeks now and the screen intensity is working again and it's not sucking the battery dry.

0 Likes