Original topic:

XCover Pro updated with NO warning

(Topic created: 11-23-2023 07:04 AM)
LightGuy48
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

My XCover Pro updated this morning at 8:32 with zero notifications or warnings that it was going to update.  Every previous update has come with an warning that I needed to pick a time to update and I could ignore the message 2 more times before the update would be forced.

My phone is a business phone, I am on-call 24x7 for off-air emergencies for several media facilities, having my phone rebooted WITHOUT my permission is not acceptable.  Especially when it won't restart without my passcode.  

I can't believe this happened and it could have been a real disaster if there was an emergency!

6 Replies
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Well, some things may have been changed here. Here's the software update policy for the Americas.
• One UI 5.1 and later: About 1-3 days after download, after which the update will be installed automatically
• One UI 5.0 and earlier: 3 postpones allowed, after which the update will be installed automatically
• Stock Android: Up to 5 days after download, after which the update will be installed automatically
• iOS: Up to 3-5 days after download, after which cellular functionality and Apple Pay will be disabled until the update is installed. In other words, no calls, texts, cellular data (not even UWB), or Apple Pay until the update is taken.1700754459823.jpg
0 Likes
LightGuy48
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Ok I get that they are not going to allow you to ignore an update indefinitely. 

But that's not the issue, the issue was that I received NO notice that there was an update that had been downloading and was pending installation.  I have ALWAYS received a notice that an update was pending, there has been nothing on my phone saying I needed to update.

0 Likes
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Here's what happens on the iPhone for the US market:
• When you select Later on the Software Update prompt, you are prompted to enter your passcode. You can select Remind Me Later on the first three postpones; you MUST enter your passcode on the 4th one, or else you won't be able to use the iPhone at all (except for emergency calls) until you agree to the update.
• After entering your passcode, you will notice that the Cancel Auto Install button is absent (1st screenshot). You won't be able to cancel the automatic installation.

ABOUT AUTOMATIC UPDATES ON IOS
• iOS updates are automatically installed only when the iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network, plugged in, and not in use.
• Those updates, as well as Rapid Security Responses (RSRs) and system files, can be automatically downloaded and prepared for installation.
• Depending on your region and carrier, one or more of those settings in the 2nd screenshot may be enforced and cannot be turned off.
• To ensure the security of iPhones, after too many unsuccessful automatic installation attempts (no internet, not plugged in, still in use during the update window), cellular access (including calls, texts, and cellular data) and Apple Pay are disabled until you update (3rd screenshot).
(Note that Wi-Fi will still be available to help you successfully update.)

Don't ever switch to an iPhone. You should stay with the Galaxy family. Either way, automatic updates are required.iPhone-scheduled-to-install-later-at-night_1000048602_1700971983.jpgios-17-iphone-14-pro-settings-general-software-update-automatic-updates_1000048604_1700972307.pngf7b9d9eb-eb89-4c85-9010-349d5eff1715_199020_1662329024.png
0 Likes
LightGuy48
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I'm sorry but I do not understand what your posting has to do with my issue... we're not discussing an IOS device.

This was an Android device that updated without any intervention on my part, it did not say an update was downloaded, it did not give me an option to postpone.  

I do understand that updates can only be postponed so many times but that was not the case in this situation.   I woke up, went to check my phone and it said it needed my passcode because it had been rebooted and the phone was not operating because until my passcode is entered after a reboot it will not start up.

After entering my passcode it informed me that an update had been installed.  I have owned this device for a couple of years and this is NOT the normal update behavior for this device.

0 Likes
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Oh, so what was the behavior you expected?
0 Likes
LightGuy48
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

The behavior in the past has always been I get a notice that an update is pending and I am given the choice to update or postpone.

90% of the time I update immediately, the phone reboots, and I log back in and the phone completes it's booting process.

10% of the time I postpone until I get to work and I do it at work.  But same thing, once it finishes updating the phone reboots and I immediately log back in and the phone completes booting.

The problem with an unannounced reboot is the phone DOES NOT completely boot, it stays stuck at the login prompt and the phone does NOT completely boot until you log so no phone calls, no texts, no emails, the phone is DEAD until you log in.  

Having a reboot in the middle of the night unannounced is catastrophic to someone who is on-call for emergencies at work.  

0 Likes