How to clear cache and/or data for an app?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor (Elite)

How to clear cache and/or data for an app?

[ Edited ]

Sometime when an app is acting up you may need to clear that application's cache. This will cause the app to re-request the data and recreate the cache again. If the app cache was in a bad state this could solve it. 

Sometimes you want to put the application back into its original clean state. Like before you launched and customized it. This can be accomplished with clearing application data. In almost all cases this will remove the data in the app. All login info will be gone and all settings in the app are reset to default. 

For example if you clear data for Messaging app, it will delete all your messages and settings in that app. 

Another example: Clearing data for Email app will delete your email account from the app, remove all emails from the app and also remove every setting you have customized. 

But clearing application data for Gallery app will not remove the photos but clear up any settings in Gallery app. 

How to clear app cache/data?

1. Go to the Settings menu. Find Apps (or Applications, depending on your device) in the menu.
  2. Depending on your device you may have to click on Application manager.
  3. Locate the app that you want to clear the cache or data for. (If you are looking for system apps you may have to click "More" menu and click "Show System apps").
  4. Tap on Storage and you can see clear cache and data buttons. 

I hope this helps

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

5 REPLIES
Astronaut

Re: How to clear cache and/or data for an app?

Hello, did you find how clear cache?

i am developing the website of my software development company, however when i test with the Galaxy S5 phone, i always have the cache preloaded and i can't find where clear it, i have the same problems when i do apps development,  how can i disable the cache option directly in the mobile? can you help me please? for development purposes, thanks!

https://www.vexsoluciones.com
Esteemed Contributor (Elite)

[ Edited ]

I think you are talking about cleaning browser cache.
In your mobile browser you go to settings, privacy, clear browsing data. This will clear cache for your browser.

Superman on Galaxy S7 SM-G930T, T-Mobile, Baseband:G930TUVY3APIA
To OP: click "✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

Good!~~~

Constellation

Delete and then reinstall the app. Or use the third party tool to delete apps data.

Asteroid

I usually use Android data cleaner tool to clear cache files for an app. It's easy to use. All types of junk files can be detected and removed, including app caches, download temp files, app crash logs, photo caches and many more.