Galaxy Tab S2 drains battery after recent update

Constellation

Galaxy Tab S2 drains battery after recent update

The most recent software update to my Tab S2 has caused battery life to go from about 5-6 days to less than 2 days. I have turned off almost all background activities for the applications, and have removed almost all applications. The battery meter is useless as it shows only a few items (screen, google, wifi), and they all sum to a few percent (5%) but the battern is on a straight line downward. I believe this has to do with network scanning or some other behavior because it is location dependent (and airplane mode causes no draining). If I leave the tablet next to my wifi router at home it drains over night (about 50% of the battery), but if I have it at another locaiont it only drains a few percent. I live in an apartment building, so there are lots of WiFi networks around. The WiFi that it is connected to is very strong so I don't think that is the issue.

191 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy Tab S2 drains battery after recent update

Hello userzH1hg1nV6Z, have you tried running it in Safe Mode to see if the symptom persists?

To run Safe Mode:

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key.
  3. When Samsung appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode on the device.
Constellation

Hi,

I have problem with my Galaxy S6 after the update too. 

My phone gets so hot that I cannot even hold it in hand! and this of course drain my battery massively.

Any help?

El.

Honored Contributor

Let's try some troubleshooting steps for your Galaxy S6, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

As expected, this made absolutely no change in behavior. I left the tablet overnight and in the morning the battery is down to 50% where as normally it would drop only about 2-3% overnight. I have shutoff all background apps and the battery meter only reports about 5% usage split between WiFi Screen and Idle. I don't know why the battery reporting can't at least say who is consuming the battery.

Constellation

I also had this problem with my s6. I eventually got a new phone-an s5-it got to the point where I had to have the phone charging in order to use it. When I asked for help, I was directed to run it in safe mode/factory reset. Neither helped. I'm afraid to run the update on my s5 because I cannot afford another phone if this comes up again. Very disappointing...

Constellation

I have the exact same problem with my tab S2 9.7 T813 (battery life dropped from 5-6 days to only 1 day now, overnight drain went from 2-3% to 50%).

I had tried resetting the tablet to factory settings and I kept wifi turned off but still the battery dropped 50% overnight.

So I had it sent back for repair, because I couldn't fix it myself.

When the tablet came back after 2 weeks, the samsung repair technician said it was fixed.

The sotware had been reset and a new changer and cable came with it.

I charged it again with this new charger, but nothing has changed. The battery still drains much too fast.

Is this a known issue after the Nougat update?

Does anybody at Samsung knows a real fix for this problem?

This is indeed very disappointing...

Astronaut

Exactly the same with my Galaxy Tab S2. Battery drain ridiculous,  took it in for repair which consisted of changing the battery  (apparently) and providing a new cable and charger. Absolutely no difference.  Takes 7 hours+ to fully charge and not much longer to be back to zero.

Astronaut

This is exactly what is happening to my Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 T-817V. I used to be able to let it sit idle for a week, now it sits idle for 2 days and it's dead. Charging also takes forever now and it doesn't seem to fast charge anymore.

Astronaut

Same problem here. The issues began after my wife updated the tablet to Nougat. I've done hours of troubleshooting, including removing all apps, soft reset and a full reset. I've tried using Nougat's new power save features and disabling WiFi. Nothing seems to work. I truly believe this is an issue with Nougat itself. Unfortunately, it would cost more to pay the deductible to 'fix' it than we owe on the tablet to T-Mobile. You would think a problem like this would be caught during the development and testing phase, long before deploying the software en-mass. Regardless, the battery life is now abysmal and a charger is a requirement if you plan to take it anywhere. I feel like someone stole my Tab S2 and replaced it with a generic knock off. Very disappointing.