Galaxy Tab S2 drains battery after recent update

Constellation

Re: Galaxy Tab S2 drains battery after recent update

Is that really an acceptable solution?  To be forced to set up our tablets from scratch.

Asteroid

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

I factory reset my tablet, still has a battery drain problem.  Anyone else have a fix?

Asteroid

Hi guys. Just to share my experience. I have a Tab S2 T813, and after Nougat update, my tablet that before the update last 5-6 days with a charge, it start to last less than 24 hours.

I did everything. Uninstall all apps, wipe all user data, reinstall the rom. nothing works.

Not only the tablet alone last so much less, but when using it with the screen on it was scaring. In one hour it could eat like 70% battery!

I installed a monitor battery app, and the app that was hogging the battery was... Playstore!!!

I rooted the tablet , and with titanium backup I frooze Playstore this morning at 94% battery.

This was at 8:00 AM. Later round 6:00 PM I did go check the battery and I was speechless. 

94% battery!

Since it is very easy to defrost the app, I will let the playstore app frozen, and when need will defrost it. So it must be something on the nougat system, or something that Samsung didn't port correctly.

I know rooting your device avoid the warranty, but at least I now can enjoy again my tablet. This could be one of the reasons (could be different for other device).

Cheers

@userYCJVyAmDlEwrote:

Hi guys. Just to share my experience. I have a Tab S2 T813, and after Nougat update, my tablet that before the update last 5-6 days with a charge, it start to last less than 24 hours.

I did everything. Uninstall all apps, wipe all user data, reinstall the rom. nothing works.

Not only the tablet alone last so much less, but when using it with the screen on it was scaring. In one hour it could eat like 70% battery!

I installed a monitor battery app, and the app that was hogging the battery was... Playstore!!!

I rooted the tablet , and with titanium backup I frooze Playstore this morning at 94% battery.

This was at 8:00 AM. Later round 6:00 PM I did go check the battery and I was speechless. 

94% battery!

Since it is very easy to defrost the app, I will let the playstore app frozen, and when need will defrost it. So it must be something on the nougat system, or something that Samsung didn't port correctly.

I know rooting your device avoid the warranty, but at least I now can enjoy again my tablet. This could be one of the reasons (could be different for other device).

Cheers

good jab

mito
Asteroid

[ Edited ]

this is the behavior with the playstore app frozen Smiley Happy

https://imgbox.com/VPJLYsAQ

Now, in resting mode, it last forever. Those spikes on the battery was some gaming and surfing.

Constellation

I am also having this issue. I have had this S2 for 5 months with no issue, then the past few days battery drains, 70% overnight with no use. I have tried factory reset and shutting down apps. 

@userYCJVyAmDlE for finding your issue to be the play store app: A) kudos for a thorough investigation. B)  Would disabling the app not achieve the same thing? I attempted that and I'm still draining rapidly, just wondering if this is the same thing I'm experiencing.  And I wonder how this is working, is the play store constantly polling the network?

@Samsung PLEASE PUSH A FIX FOR THIS. or roll something back... my tablet is effectively useless for travel now. 

Asteroid

@userupTQJ8m6O1wrote:

I am also having this issue. I have had this S2 for 5 months with no issue, then the past few days battery drains, 70% overnight with no use. I have tried factory reset and shutting down apps. 

@userYCJVyAmDlE for finding your issue to be the play store app: A) kudos for a thorough investigation. B)  Would disabling the app not achieve the same thing? I attempted that and I'm still draining rapidly, just wondering if this is the same thing I'm experiencing.  And I wonder how this is working, is the play store constantly polling the network?

@Samsung PLEASE PUSH A FIX FOR THIS. or roll something back... my tablet is effectively useless for travel now. 

Hi. I didn't try to disable the app. You can do that to system apps?

The only two other things that I changed was the setting "keep wifi on only when charging" and I connected to my 2.4ghz wifi. Not the 5ghz. Besides that is completely with the default settings . 

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I have two Samsung s2 8.0 tablets, the first an SM-T710, and the second an SM-T713. The SM-T713 works fine after the Nougat update, the T710, unfortunately, acts like "Wavy Gravy" charges really slowly then discharges while charging never really hits anywhere near 1.5 amps while charging and struggles to go past 20% battery life. At first, I thought the battery was on its way out but there is something about this behavior that doesn't click. 

Firstly power management is handled by the power IC and the power IC is controlled by the firmware. I have carried out some tests with charging using 3 different official Samsung chargers and different cables. Charging seems to have a mind of its own. Using a few apps to monitor the charging ampere it seems to be all over the place though really I'm gonna use a meter to measure this. I have now put the tablet on charge using my PC and its charging, very slowly but its charging but with the stock charger it doesn't really want to charge. One of my theories is that there is a bug in the firmware that is causing these problems. Its weird the issue started following the update. I'm not ruling out the charging IC but looking at the obvious.

While my issues are slightly different they aren't really. The battery life on this tablet has been appalling, I decided to try to condition the battery by allowing it to discharge down to 0 %. I am an Electrical Engineer and I have replaced many charge ports and charge IC in many different tablets over the years.

I am now trying to get enough charge to the tablet to downgrade the OS. Yes, downgrade. I'm sorry but the comment that you can't downgrade the OS is not the case. I suspect that a number of factors cause this behavior during the update, different use while updating or having less juice in your tablet than 50% or just an act of God, who knows but I will report back with my findings.

There are lots of posts about the issue after updates for various models, all with different symptoms but I believe they are all linked to their results, poor charging, poor battery life and the loss of fast charging, all maybe a result of corrupted firmware. The question is that may never be answered is a coincidence that this happened following the update especially if it's a hardware fault. I'm not ruling out the charge IC or the battery just applying some engineering logic with the easiest fixes first.

Can I also add that disabling apps and wifi sleeping are simply masking the issue. Not discounting that it's helping with the issue for users but there is more going on here. A simple fix would be for Samsung to allow users to reflash or roll back their tablets. But they should be engaging with customers. 

Samsung should have engineers present on these boards. Service and support are how a company is judged. Yes, a hard and soft reset has worked for some after the update, it has also not worked for many. I am not also convinced that the reset of the cache has actually fixed the problem and that it's more a case of nudging something else in the software. 

I will come back and update whatever my conclusion is. 

Constellation

@userYCJVyAmDlE it appears to have let me disable the play store app. Initially I force stopped (and I got a warning about how that would ruin my life), then I had the option to disable the app.  So far, I observe a small but notable improvement with it *maybe* disabled. 

I think you are on to something with the wifi though. I just moved into a temp apartment, I need to see if I'm on the 5ghz feed of this provided router set up.

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

Hey guys.

Just an update.

I defrosted the playstore app, and on the app-settings I selected in the auto-update apps to "Do not auto-update apps"

It seems the battery drain is still not happening.

So I will ask for you to try this setting before do anything more radical and report.