Gear S3 Tizen 3.0 update

Constellation

Re: Gear S3 Tizen 3.0 update

From what’ve read after people installing the update on the S3, the carriers may be doing us a favor by delaying it on the LTE version. They might be protecting us from a flawed update or adding their own touches. S Voice isn’t as good as Bixby, but I like it. Sets timers, reminders alarms and actually can answer some questions. I don’t remember what I asked Svoice, but I swear on my life it answered a question that Siri had no clue how to answer.

Constellation

I read somewhere that the update is fine if you're willing to do a factory reset (I am). At any rate, why don't I get to decide that for myself?

Samsung made the announcement weeks ago and as far as I know still hasn't said anything about the fact that carrier versions didn't get it. It would be really nice if they could show enough consideration for their customers to tell us that the carrier version is or is not imminent.

Astronaut

Last weekend I purchased a Gear S3 Frontier and it updated to 3.0.0.1 but returned it to Samsung Repair center as it had a faulty sensor. When I tried to update the replacement Gear S3 it wouldnt update past 2.3.2.4. When I talked to a Samsung service rep I was told that 2.3.2.4 is the current latest version of Tizen for my watch. I told him the other watch updated to 3.0.0.1 and he was confused because according to his information it wasn't possible. I wish saved a few screen shots to send him.
Astronaut

I have the same issue. After sending in for repair my watch was back at 2.3.2.3 and is unable to update to Tizen 3.0.

The rep told me the same thing that I was on the current version now (2.3.2.3)

Please update with any further information when able.

Highlighted
Constellation

For those non-carrier Gear S3 owners who have the update, how is the continuous heart rate monitoring?

Astronaut

Gear S3 Tizen 3.0 update

That's absolutely correct I've been a diehard samsung fan since i can remember, but waiting around for updates while others have it before some it's unfair and frustrating, i'm selling my samsung devices and when i do i'm going with Apple at least when apple updates come out it's for everyone.
Constellation

Exactly the same problem!  I had to return a gear s3 frontier unit due to another issue and got a new replacement from the store.  The previous one got updated to Tizen 3.0.0.1 after the initial setup.  However, after multiple hard resets and fidgeting with the Gear S app on the phone, I just couldn't get this replacement unit to upgrade from 2.3.2.4.  Eventually called Samsung cust 'no' service (twice) and was disappointed as they were like robots following a script and stated that on their 'site' they only had 2.3.2 and that there was no v3.0.  I am missing several things like a detailed settings screen, always-on display, .....

Should I just return this 2nd unit and forget it?  Has Samsung pulled out the 3.0 from its servers or updates only select units?  Or is it a temporary thing and eventually I will receive the update? Any inputs will be appreciated.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I’d like to get an upgrade that works too, but the Gear S3 with the 2.3.2.3 is still a great watch. I wouldn’t swap my S3 LTE for anything else out right now. If it never gets to Tizen 3.0, I can live with that. I have no idea what Samsung’s plans are but on my Verizon LTE version, they’ve been gradually updating the apps to have the same newer Tizen 3.0 look. It also seems speedier overall when measuring pulse. The weather app went nuts last week giving ridiculous information and increased battery drain, then I got an upgrade Thursday or Friday and the weather app is fast, looks like the Tizen weather and my battery life has gotten better than it was before. I know I may sound like a Samsung shill/fanboy but believe me, I have no loyalty to manufacturers or any particular OS. I have and use all or most of them. 

Constellation

3.0 broke functionality with the watch and will crash your phone.  Check out other forum posts.  Weeks now and Samsung has turned a blind eye to the consumer.

Asteroid

Gear S3 Tizen 3.0 update

the tizen 3 update is a freaking nightmare. Causing abnormal battery drain and other issues.