Beware! The trade in program by Samsung is a huge scam!

Constellation

Re: Beware! The trade in program by Samsung is a huge scam!

Sorry to hear that. I took pics as recommended by a Samsung representative. 

Constellation

I had the same scam with my LG v20 trade in for Note8.  After 4 months passed by Got an email from Samsung were charged me another

300's dollars for my LG phone not meet their requirement for water damage.

I have this phone for a year and taking care very well from the first day I'm using it. Always in flipcase and temper glass screen and still have factory plastic wrap in the back as day one. Never in the water or in the rain. Not a single scratch cause I put phone in you case for a second protection.  I can excellent condition and take me a while to give up for this trade in promotion from Sansung.

I' m feeling rip-off, lost my LG phone and money cause it' a hard for consumer like us to complain for something which Samsung can say anything and take a phone from our hand for free.

Constellation

Reading all this now has me nervous.  I pre-ordered the note 9 and trading in a note 8.  I wonder if I should just cancel the trade in part and put the note 8 on ebay for the same price.  Mine is in mint condition and has had a case and glass screen protector on it since it left the store.   I realize not everyone has bad luck, but if it went for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

If I continue with the trade, definitely pics and a video showing it working and with the serial number displaying! 

Asteroid

I would not trade them in anything as you're just asking for the frustration that many of us have been going through. Not only do you stand the chance of losing the trade-in credit, but they'll also keep the phone. Samsung is running a scam. 

From what I've seen the only thing that has had success against them is the Better Business  Bureau. But do you really want to go have to go down that road.

Constellation

Helpful thread. Based on research, when traded in the phone goes to a third party who completes the "inspection" (which might also include breaking your phone or "claiming" it arrived broken).  Will not trade in note 8, will sell locally or ebay.  

They need to think up a better system, where pics of the device could be taken beforehand, and some requirements when the vendor claims a device is broken. Do it through the Care app. 

Astronaut

wow ... I am on the Samsung site and was just going to trade in my Note 8 but after reading all this, I guess it is Samsung's loss that I will NOT be getting a Note 9.  What do you have to say for this SAMSUNG?

@userTQDyBMyvF7 wrote:

Helpful thread. Based on research, when traded in the phone goes to a third party who completes the "inspection" (which might also include breaking your phone or "claiming" it arrived broken).  Will not trade in note 8, will sell locally or ebay.  

They need to think up a better system, where pics of the device could be taken beforehand, and some requirements when the vendor claims a device is broken. Do it through the Care app. 

Asteroid

I agree.  I got double suckered.  My wife and I both had S7s that worked fine.  I was about to sign up with Verizon with a trade-in, but saw an opportunity to trade-in with Samsung, with 2 years same as cash credit using their financing.  Samsung's offer appeared to save me ~$180 so I cancelled the trade-in at the carrier and started the transaction with Samsung. 

I thought the trade-in was a big possible gotcha.  I poured over the trade-in terms and they said "normal wear and tear" was acceptable.  

Both orders were placed at the same time.  The pink phones were back ordered, so my trade-in phone and the wife's shipped about a week and a half apart.  

Both came back with only $25 credit.  When I contested each time I was told a different reason the phones weren't accepted.  One was that the screens were cracked.  Another time I was told that the phones didn't work at all.  Another time I was told the touch screen didn't work.  I was finally told that the screens were burned in and that was why they were only worth $25.  

If screen burn in is unacceptable, I need to return my S9+ because after only 4 months of use I can already see burn-in.  

Each time I was contesting these trade-ins, I got sent pictures of my phones.  The pics accompanying the "cracked screen" allegation didn't even show a phone with a cracked screen.  The pictures accompanying the "not working" allegation showed the phone actually on, and prompting the user to select their language.  If they're going to scam people they need to at least provide faked evidence that corresponds with their story.

In the end, I'm scammed out of $275 PER PHONE, for $550 total of being scammed.  I think I read that Samsung's quarterly shareholder report indicated ~$17Billion of profits.  It is a shame they've got to rip off consumers to get there.  On top of that I've personally spent ~6-10 hours pursing getting this corrected.

Samsung should be ashamed.

Asteroid

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  This has been the only thing that works with Samsung regarding this scam.  I received a notice from the BBB including an apology letter from Samsung that they were returning my funds.

Constellation

Same issuem wish i googled  this before  sending my phone in.  Sent in a phone for a cracked  trade in credit  and they  claim camera was cracked.  Their  own photos also only pointed out the cracks on the bottom of the bezel... opposite ends of the camera. They charged me for the trade in amount and i have to wait 30 business days to get a response.. maybe  if they  stop scamming people they will have less of a backlog of complaints. 

They said only way to expedite  would be me to send pictures to prove they were wrong.

Asteroid

Once they debit your credit card file a complaint with the BBB at bbb.org.  This has been successful against this scam.