Galaxy S8 $300 Trade-In Promotion Scam

Constellation

I took advantage of the promotion.  They send me back an email saying they are only giving me a credit of $25 instead of the $300.  

I disagree.  Whether I'm right or wrong about the value of the trade-in is not the issue.  THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE PROMOTIONS DEPARTMENT WILL NOT RESPOND, AND APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN SHUT DOWN.  

I have spoken with 2 people about this in the last 6 weeks.  I'm promised someone will get back with me.  They don't.   I've been calling the Promotions Dept.  800-854-4201 for the last 3 weeks, and

the message is always the same:  “We are experiencing technical difficulties.  Please try calling us back later.” 

I was considering arbitration, but those pages no longer exists. I went to the pages that were referenced, and it had me go to this link. http://www.samsung.com/us/Legal/phone-HSGuide   That link doesn't work.  

It appears to me that this Samsung Promotion was a scam that was run by hucksters who have pulled up stakes and rolled across state lines.  

Only option appears to be small claims court.  

Any one else having this same problem?

7 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 $300 Trade-In Promotion Scam

This is not good. I am about to send my old phone to them

Constellation

I got mine from ATT and I was told to go to a ATT "corporated Store" (Jersey Garden Malls, NJ)  to do the trade in, this way I would get the credit right there and didn't have to wait. I reset  my old phone,  charged a little, so they could see it it was working and everything worked fine. I asked to put the $300.00 towards my new phone but could only put towards my bill.

Constellation

hate to ask stupid questions, but was there anything wrong with the phone? did you video tape the phone in good condition and working before you sent it in?also did you try using the "email the office of the CEO" link?
Astronaut

This Samsung trade-in program is complete scam! I send them my wife's HTC LTE phone which is a bit old but was in perfect working condition with some minor scratches on the sides but that's about it - battery holds the charge, not a scratch on the screen. But yesterday I got a message from Samsung that I will be charged $175 because my phone was not qualified: The following condition was not met: "Functioning display, & cracked screen".

Actually, I was anticipating that GNUSMAS would try to do some BS like that, so I shoot the video right before shipping my phone to them - here check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8D6PJKy97E

But the main frustration is that you need to call their eCommerce department which is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and regular custom support can't do anything about it either. I tried to call them few time thorough out the day and even stayed on the line for more then 90mins but could not reach out to anyone!!!

Well, $175 is not such a big deal for me but I absolutely hate when company try to scam you like this, so I'll make GNUSMAS work hard for my money! I'm thinking about sharing my XP with websites like Engadget, Gizmodo etc, writing to BBB and disputing the charge when it arrives on my credit card. What else do you think I should do?

Samsung Galaxy S8 Trade-In Scam program is complete scam! I send themHTC LTE phone which is a bit old but was in perfect working condition with some minor scratches on the sides but that's about it - battery holds the charge, not a scratch on the screen. But recently I got a message from Samsung ...
Astronaut

Constellation

The Same situation is for me too.  They ripped me off for $175.

We need to start a class action against Samsung TradeIn program.

Asteroid

Sorry you are going through this. Scams are so prevalent today, I am constantly bombarded by them through email etc., everyday. Contact Samsung's main office and try to verify your situation with them. The only way to be sure.