S8+ Trade-in Program is a Scam

Constellation

Samsung approved my phone as part of the trade-in program when I bought my S8+. I saw online that some people were having trouble getting their phones approved by Samsung, so I took a few pictures in the parking lot before packing it up and shipping it to them. Of course, I received an email telling me that the screen was cracked and or not functioning. Take a look at the pictures. It obviously comes on. The entire screen was touch sensitive. And not only is it not cracked, but I don't think it had a scratch on it due to having a screen protector. The smudges you see are from having the screen protector taken off at the Verizon store when they agreed to take it in trade (should have pulled the trigger then) and then putting it back on for a few days before sending it to Samsung.

I put the case and cover back on when sending it to keep it protected in transit. Oh, and I also have a video of the phone turning on functioning correctly. The pictures are dated five minutes before my FedEx receipt was issued. So is this just a big scam? Could my phone have been damaged so badly wrapped in air bubbles and in it's case? My new S8+ is my third Samsung phone and I have two Samsung televisions, but if this is how Samsung treats loyal customers, I swear that my next phone will be from Google or Apple. 

20170706_182437.jpg20170706_182448.jpg20170706_182506.jpg

See more topics labeled with:

19 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: S8+ Trade-in Program is a Scam

This is not good at all. I am about to ship my S7 to them after I get my S8+ from FedEx

Constellation

I have just received my S8+ and was expecting instructions and a box to return my trade in Galaxy note.   Can you tell me where to find instructions on how to proceed and the return address as there was nothing in the new phone box as to how to proceed.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I strictly agree that all this trade in program is a big scam. We had a similar story where my phone didn't qualify normal wear and tear conditions but my phone was in mint condition. I was offered $300 but since they claim the phone didn't qualify they charged me $275 and kept the phone for  $25.

It seems like they trying to recover money lost in Note 7 production line. Most of these phones traded in will be not accepted and later sold as refurbished at much higher price.

We have decided to stop supporting Samsung. No future investments will be made buying samsung products.

I strictly recommend my friends out there not to invest in samsung. Look into htc or one plus5 phones. Good phones for the price.

Astronaut

This Samsung trade-in program is complete scam! I send them my wife's HTC LTE phone which is a bit old but was in perfect working condition with some minor scratches on the sides but that's about it - battery holds the charge, not a scratch on the screen. But yesterday I got a message from Samsung that I will be charged $175 because my phone was not qualified: The following condition was not met: "Functioning display, & cracked screen".

Actually, I was anticipating that GNUSMAS would try to do something like that, so I shoot the video right before shipping my phone to them - here check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8D6PJKy97E

But the main frustration is that you need to call their eCommerce department which is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and regular custom support can't do anything about it either. I tried to call them few time thorough out the day and even stayed on the line for more then 90mins but could not reach out to anyone!!!

Well, $175 is not such a big deal for me but I absolutely hate when company try to scam you like this, so I'll make GNUSMAS work hard for my money! I'm thinking about sharing my XP with websites like Engadget, Gizmodo etc, writing to BBB and disputing the charge when it arrives on my credit card. What else do you think I should do?

Samsung Galaxy S8 Trade-In Scam program is complete scam! I send themHTC LTE phone which is a bit old but was in perfect working condition with some minor scratches on the sides but that's about it - battery holds the charge, not a scratch on the screen. But recently I got a message from Samsung ...
Constellation

Yes, stay away from this scam of a program. I sent in a mint condition Galaxy S5 with box, manuals, etc. that fell in their trade-in program list. After 30 days, of course, I am sent an e-mail stating they are charging me the remaining amount with the reason being "incorrect phone received." Total bull**bleep**. 

yes they did the same thing to me! sent them a s6 that had a case and screen protector on it since day 1 and 2 months later i get an email saying they are going to charge me $125! they said phone wouldn't power on, extreme wear and tear and phone was blacklisted...all 3 are 100% bull**bleep**! this is an absolute scam that i will be reporting to as many people as possible.
Astronaut

2 months after getting my S8 after sending in an excellent condition S5, I get an e-mail saying they are going to charge me $125. I see now I am not alone. I can't believe such a big company is running such a scam - especially after the S7 Note fiasco. Can anyone spell "class action?" I have used Galaxy phones for 6 years - this is the 7th Galaxy product I've bought and it appears it will be my last. This is a bunch of bull and a horrible way to treat loyal customers. They won't even send me back the S5 so I could sell it for $100 bucks on e-bay easily!

Cosmic Ray

I did not get an address label either. Samsung said in the offer that they would provide a trackable address label. did you resolve your situation?
Astronaut

The return instructions will be under your order page. It'll ask you to print the return label for your trade-in. It'll be a FedEx label.