S9 trade in scam

Regular Contributor (Elite)

Re: S9 trade in scam

My S7 Edge was successfully accepted. It was in like new condition. With maybe some light scratches around the USB port. Took 4 to six weeks to get the email. Even though I didn't have any trade in issues, if I ever have to trade in a phone again I'll take pictures before I send it back. 

From an Unlocked Note 9 (SM-N960U1) on AT&T
Constellation

I sent my phone in March 20, and received an email I was going to be charged $275, for broken screen on April 27.
Galaxy

@userIPrhQME3fEwrote:
I sent my phone in March 20, and received an email I was going to be charged $275, for broken screen on April 27.

Was it really broken?

Asteroid

I had the same issue and my samsung s7 has no issues whatsoever 

Galaxy

Yey I trade in my Galaxy S8 Plus and it only took 3 business days for them to validate my device and now they approved my trade-in and it is successful.. I did bug the e-commerce to hurry up the process of my device because i am worried the battery may die if takes a month. But I asked the customer service what is the definition of "Normal wear and tear" and here is their definition.

Failure beyond Normal wear and tear may be due to:
• Electrical connector damaged,housing damage.
• Electrical Connector Damaged : The electrical connector was inspected and damage was found on the charging port or charging pins that goes beyond normal wear and tear.
• Has Housing Damage: The phone casing was inspected and a break or crack was found that goes beyond normal wear and tear.
• Cracked Camera Lens : The camera lens was inspected and a crack was found that was beyond normal wear and tear. This includes any cracks and small hairline fissures on the camera.

Constellation

Thank you for posting this!  I've had the same experience trading in my pristine S6, and was told it had water damage.  The phone didn't have a scratch on it, but I was stupid in that I didn't photograph it - I figured this was just a formality and that they would simply honor the $125 discount.    When I challenged it, they send two unrecognizable photos with no further explanation.  I've been calling and emailing since with no positive response.  Just now I've had two calls with customer service who admit that they have had MANY similar reports and they pass these issues on to management for a decision,  but insist that I have to wait.  When I ask for a supervisor I'm put on hold only to be disconnected (two separate times)! 

Meanwhile, its been over two weeks and my CC has been charged.  Believe me this is not about the $125 - I've never seen such an obvious scam.   Maybe I'll expose them on the local NY news!

Asteroid

Same issue here. My S7 was just about perfect. I cleared all my accounts, factory reset it and sent it in. I have a pending case with BBB. This is what samsung claims to be the phone I sent them. So far they got a like new S7 for $25 and I paid full price for an S9+. The last Samsung product I'll ever own.

https://samsung-tradein-images.s3.amazonaws.com/trade-in/MFS8P6054/7b5d4044096fa53a1beb13a86e9a6297....

Galaxy

@userRPypF6kirm wrote:
Same issue here. My S7 was just about perfect. I cleared all my accounts, factory reset it and sent it in. I have a pending case with BBB. This is what samsung claims to be the phone I sent them. So far they got a like new S7 for $25 and I paid full price for an S9+. The last Samsung product I'll ever own.

https://samsung-tradein-images.s3.amazonaws.com/trade-in/MFS8P6054/7b5d4044096fa53a1beb13a86e9a6297....

is that the damage on the top screen like burn-in?

Asteroid

I'm really not sure what the picture is showing exactly, because the phone I sent had a mint screen. And samsung just said "Device’s display is damaged or not functioning" One customer service rep said they indicated the screen was cracked, but she said didn't see any cracks on the picture so she was confused.

It looks as if the screen here is all white, and possibly under the red mark might be cracked. Looks like they intake all the phones and litteraly just toss them in a box until they get to processing them. I would not doubt it one bit the way the threads here are coming in.

One thing I can prove 100% is Verizon says my MEID was being used for talk, text and data up till the minute I switched it over to the S9+. Samsung just needs to call them and they will verify.

Galaxy

@userRPypF6kirm wrote:

I'm really not sure what the picture is showing exactly, because the phone I sent had a mint screen. And samsung just said "Device’s display is damaged or not functioning" One customer service rep said they indicated the screen was cracked, but she said didn't see any cracks on the picture so she was confused.

It looks as if the screen here is all white, and possibly under the red mark might be cracked. Looks like they intake all the phones and litteraly just toss them in a box until they get to processing them. I would not doubt it one bit the way the threads here are coming in.

One thing I can prove 100% is Verizon says my MEID was being used for talk, text and data up till the minute I switched it over to the S9+. Samsung just needs to call them and they will verify.

What is your definition of "mint condition"? Because according to samsung if there is hairline crack or burn-in it is consider beyond normal wear and tear but you ca ask samsung what is normal wear and tear means.