Original topic:

Using HDMI input for Art

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
jken3
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

For several years I have been using an old Mac Mini connected over HDMI to an LG TV to display 4K art (using a slide show app). It has worked quite nicely, but I am considering replacing the LG TV with a Samsung Frame because of the matte finish, the bezel, the flat on the wall look, and to upgrade from 55" to 65".

I would not be using the built-in art functions at all, just feeding my own art from the Mac Mini over HDMI. Anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't work on the Samsung Frame? 

Thanks.

1 Reply
tomsframe
Nebula
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

The Frame works as any other TV in that yes your Mac mini should play to it just fine. But I dunno about some Frame-specific features such as (I think) the motion sensing that keeps artwork displayed vs. having the set time-out to Standby. Also, the Frame's remote has an "switch to Art" button on it that you'll likely need to stay away from.

FWIW I have always believed (without having Samsung confirm this however) that the Frame sets are more expensive not just for the feature set, but also that the electronics are more robust to live-thru the "constant ON" that many operate under all day. I for one am not sure I would pay the premium for these features (matte finish, bezel. flat wall mount) myself if I didn't actually want to use the art mode. But I think you may enjoy to try the Art mode despite that you may not use it that way all of the time.

0 Likes