Original topic:

2021 QN65QN90A G-Sync Compatible Samsung TV - No VRR on HDMI Port 4 (the only HDMI 2.1 port)

(Topic created: 03-31-2022 10:16 PM)
userECIm3gXl7s
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame
I just purchased the Samsung QN9DAAFXZA (Costco version of mainstream QN65QN90AAFXZA). I have a 3070ti with driver version 511.65 and Windows 10 professional. HDMI cable is certified 8k60/4k120 (I confirm 4k 120 works without issue and 4:4:4 10 bit is even selectable in Nvidia control panel on HDMI port 4 (see below).

Now here's the issue ... On HDMI ports 1 - 3 (which are not supposed to be HDMI 2.1), G-Sync (via Nvidia Control Panel) and VRR (TV Game Bar confirms) work properly. And they work good. However, even when selecting 1080P120 4:4:4 in the NVIDIA control panel (only 8 bit color is selectable) ... I really don't think it's 4:4:4. For instance, the text in the little AIDA64 icons for temperatures and usages in my system tray look blurry. My older TV, which was a Vizio and wouldn't do 4:4:4 anything, had the same blurry text issue, for instance. These 3 HDMI ports only allow 2160p120 at 4:2:0.

Now here's what's annoying. HDMI port 4 is the HDMI version 2.1 port. I absolutely cannot get the TV to enable VRR. No matter what I do or try, and I've tried different combinations of resolutions, refesh rates, toggling G-Sync, cycle the TV, etc. Trying gaming, if the frame rate is not a solid 120fps, there's definitely screen tearing without Vsync and this annoying judder with G-sync enabled in the NVIDIA control panel.
On the plus side of this port, 1080p120 at 4:4:4 and 10 bit color is selectable. And the text in the AIDA64 icons is clear and not blurry. It also allows 2160p120 at 4:4:4. Super clear. Great stuff. Am I missing something obvious here? Is Samsung's only HDMI 2.1 port on these TVs not G-Sync (hence VRR) compatible? Did Samsung mess this up with some recent firmware update?

Here's the guide that works on ports 1 - 3:

4 Replies
userKjqWxdNpsa
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame
Take it back if you can. The TV is already discontinued. I have issues with mine. Had it 2 months now going through the process to get a refund.
0 Likes
userECIm3gXl7s
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks for the advice but that's not what I'm looking for.

Did HDMI 4 work with VRR at one point (with Nvidia G-Sync), and if so, was it messed up with a firmware update or is my specific TV defective.

My original Vizio (their 1st gen 4K TV that did 120hz1080p, which was huge from a PC gaming standpoint) had a software update that caused random flickering when gaming at 120hz1080p. Since rarely anyone used that TV for that purpose, I only found one other post on the AVS forum where someone else had the same issue. It was a battle getting Vizio to understand their TV software update borked the main feature I bought their TV for. They replaced it under the squaretrade warranty with a TV that didn't have the update. I never even connected it to the internet lol so it could never update. THis new Samsung TV is also not connected to the internet and never will be again, unless a software update specifically fixes this problem. At least VRR works on the other ports.

0 Likes
userwXcpMSJPqw
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Im having the same problem with my 75" Q80. I have my PS5 connected to HDMI  Port 4 and no matter what I do I cannot get the VRR to turn on , on the television .   Even though I have enable the VRR on my console. I called customer support and they had no idea what I was talking about and blamed it on my PS5. I know the PS5 just received VRR support a few days ago via update so im hoping that its just a software issue with the television, that needs to be updated in order for the tv to recognize the console is in VRR mode. Does anybody else have any suggestions?

0 Likes
userECIm3gXl7s
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I installed 2 different drivers and it fixed the TV not recognizing VRR on port 4. Gsync was always active so it makes no sense to me ... but regardless, VRR now works fine on port 4 so my issue is closed. It's glorious lol.

I'm not a console gamer but didn't the PS5 JUST come out with VRR support for a handful of games? Do you have those games to test VRR on?

0 Likes