Original topic:

2022 The Frame (65") bad calibration with auto dimming in art mode

(Topic created: 04-24-2022 07:29 PM)
userjzrVV7JWe4
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Just put up a new 2022 65" The Frame in the family room this weekend, mainly for displaying art and photos.  

Generally it can be tweaked to look quite good, but the auto-dimming behavior is not working as expected.  

After some experimentation it seems that the light sensor is not well calibrated.  If left to auto-dim the screen stays at minimal brightness in most lighting conditions.

The manual brightness setting seems to function as a "minimum brightness".  If I set it all the way to the right the screen is bright enough in the daytime, but does not dim at night.  On the other hand if I set it all the way to the left, the screen is appropriately bright (dim) at night, but will not get any brighter during the day (unless the room is very bright with sunlight, in which case it notches up a level or two but still does not reach halfway, and remains obviously too dim for lighting conditions.)  

Experimentation with shining a bright flashlight on the sensor (with brightness set to the left) shows that if the light is bright enough it does make the screen brighten up to the max brightness, but light never reaches this level naturally. (My flashlight is very bright...)

I should add that this room seems fairly "typical" as far as lighting goes, it has large windows (opposite the screen), gets direct sunlight in the morning (not directly on the screen of course), and indirect sun in the afternoon.  Also the screen is mounted directly on the wall with the included mount at eye height, and no obstructions.

Is there a way to adjust the calibration, or is there perhaps a firmware problem? Of course I can manually change the brightness from day to night but this is not something I want to sign up for every day.

Happy to give more data to support folks if that helps.

2 Replies
tomsframe
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame

My 65" Frame is much older than yours, a 2017 iirc, and of course I would expect yours to be *better* than mine. I recall having some difficulty at first coming to grips with the Much (much) Dimmer Art Mode which makes images look like wall hangings...

In any case just FYI I have under Picture > Expert Settings the Backlight set to 15 out of 20, and there also Brightness set to Zero (where it can go up or down from there). Then my set has an Eco Solution area where Ambient Light Detection is set to On, and Minimum Backlight is on 10, with Power Saving Mode and Motion Lighting both Off. When not in Art mode, where I have only an AppleTV4K, it greatly brightens and looks great w/o further fiddling.

Someone here must have a 2022 with Art Mode they are happy with. Hopefully they will post and you can compare.

0 Likes
Amy P
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am issues with the motion sensor on my 2022 75' Frame. I had no issues on the 2021 version I "upgraded" from. Despite all of the settings being turned off, the TV will still turn off after random periods of time. I contacted Samsung and was told to update the software via USB. I did so and it appeared to fix the problem, or so I thought. As soon as I reinstalled the frame, the issue returned. I took the frame back off two days ago and have not experienced any issues with the sensor turning the TV off from art mode. So the frame that I bought WITH my 75' TV is blocking the sensor. What is Samsung going to do about this?

0 Likes