JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Easy Connection app for PC on TV privacy question

(Topic created: 02-19-2022 09:53 AM)
ETorbert
Halo
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have installed Easy Connection on my desktop and my laptop, both with Windows 10. I am connecting to my 55 inch Q70A and have had no problem seeing either my desktop screen or laptop screen with PC on TV. I have discovered that if either the desktop or laptop is turned on, the screen is viewable with PC on TV no matter the Easy Connection settings I have selected. Disabling Auto Start for Easy Connection on either my desktop or laptop makes no difference. If the desktop or laptop are turned on, they are connected so far as PC on TV is concerned. If I am working on my desktop upstairs, any member of my family can look at my live screen by selecting PC on TV downstairs. There is a warning shown on my desktop or laptop when PC on TV is activated; however, if I am not at the computer for a moment, that warning is not acted upon and the screen is instantly viewable by PC on TV. Is there any way other than removing the Easy Connection app and functionality to address this privacy issue?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ETorbert
Halo
Options
QLED and The Frame

userIRFIKvL5xe's suggestion prompted further exploration of the Samsung "Easy Connection to Screen" app on my PC...

The "Easy Connection to Screen" has an option called "Using the Windows Lock Screen". I had turned this option off because it forces the PC to go to the Windows Lock Screen anytime the "PC on TV" app is opened on the TV. The Windows Lock Screen is the start-up screen for Windows on the PC that asks for a PIN or password every time you turn on the PC.

I turned the Windows Lock Screen option on again, and this action effectively fulfills userIRIFKvL5xe's suggestion except in reverse. Whenever someone selects the "PC on TV" app on my TV, I have to enter a PIN or password on my PC (rather than the TV as suggested by the user and preferred to be sure) in order to see the same active Windows screen on the TV and my PC. In effect the only way to work on the PC under these circumstances is to have the screen viewable on the TV as well.

What is accomplished here is...turning on the "PC on TV" app does not show what is on the PC screen other than the Windows Lock Screen unless someone enters the PIN or password on the PC. This is at least some degree of privacy, yet a definite inconvenience since my PC is not in the same room or on the same floor as the TV.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
QLED and The Frame

I can definitely understand how frustrating this may be. Unfortunately, I believe that removing the app is the only way to address this issue.

0 Likes
userIRFlKvL5xe
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Really, remove the app?, How about adding something like a 4-digit security 'pin' option at the TV's end to enable viewing the PC/TV per session, or per TV restart if that would be easier???

0 Likes
ETorbert
Halo
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you for your reply. I do not want to remove the app because PC on TV provides a successful workaround for another problem acknowledged in the e-Manual for certain live video broadcasts when using the Internet app.

0 Likes
Solution
ETorbert
Halo
Options
QLED and The Frame

userIRFIKvL5xe's suggestion prompted further exploration of the Samsung "Easy Connection to Screen" app on my PC...

The "Easy Connection to Screen" has an option called "Using the Windows Lock Screen". I had turned this option off because it forces the PC to go to the Windows Lock Screen anytime the "PC on TV" app is opened on the TV. The Windows Lock Screen is the start-up screen for Windows on the PC that asks for a PIN or password every time you turn on the PC.

I turned the Windows Lock Screen option on again, and this action effectively fulfills userIRIFKvL5xe's suggestion except in reverse. Whenever someone selects the "PC on TV" app on my TV, I have to enter a PIN or password on my PC (rather than the TV as suggested by the user and preferred to be sure) in order to see the same active Windows screen on the TV and my PC. In effect the only way to work on the PC under these circumstances is to have the screen viewable on the TV as well.

What is accomplished here is...turning on the "PC on TV" app does not show what is on the PC screen other than the Windows Lock Screen unless someone enters the PIN or password on the PC. This is at least some degree of privacy, yet a definite inconvenience since my PC is not in the same room or on the same floor as the TV.

0 Likes