Original topic:

Frame T V 2022 HDMI issues with Yamaha TSR700 receiver

(Topic created: 05-16-2022 07:17 PM)
JosephWit
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a 2020 50" Frame TV in my bedroom, use the TV speakers, love it, works great, no issues.

In the living room, new 65" 2022 Frame TV (amazing!) with a 2021 Yamaha TSR700 receiver and 5.1.2 speaker system. Can't get the HDMI communication to behave! Both units have latest versions of HDMI and ARC, and have latest firmware. Issues:

The receiver turns off when I power off the TV (Frame remote), but does not power on when I turn the TV back on.

The TV keeps resetting sound to "TV speakers" after I select the audio receiver in Frame TV settings.

The audio is delayed compared to the video when watching TV built-in apps (Netflix, etc). Both the TV and receiver have settings to change the delay to correct this, but they don't do anything.

I have the Frame TV HDMI out connected to the ARC HDMI of the receiver. Only device connected directly to the receiver is turntable, since the receiver has a preamp. For a while, when I select receiver settings, it switched input to the PHONO, though lately it remains on TV.

Really buggy! I have played with all of the HDMI settings on both units for hours and can't get reasonable communication.

Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks, Joe

11 Replies
TheGalaxy
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Use bidirectional hdmi cable and ground the Yamaha
0 Likes
JosephWit
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks for reply.

HDMI cable is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082XHMH4Q - certainly shows no arrows or  indication that one end is different from the other.
Yamaha receiver is plugged into high quality home theater surge protector with 3 prong plug. What kind of ground do you mean? No nearby water pipes I'm afraid lol...
Still learning...

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
There must be a physical screw with the ground symbol that should have a cable that suppose to connect to "earth"
Screenshot_20220516-223936_Samsung Internet.jpg
0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Did you connect the trigger? Screenshot_20220516-224115_Samsung Internet_29470_1652766075.jpg
0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
That's your ground
Screenshot_20220516-224345_Samsung Internet_29471_1652766225.jpg
0 Likes
JosephWit
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Isn't that  ground lug is for the turntable ground wire?

Manual says the trigger out is for "devices that support the trigger function". Seems to be a Yamaha thing? Certainly no connection on Samsung Frame TV.

?

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
🤔
0 Likes
userd2hs88NQRJ
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

It seems pretty unlikely that this is a grounding problem. If it were it'd affect the high bandwidth parts of the signal (gigabits per second) LOOOONG before it affected CEC (not even kilobits per second). CEC is the extra HDMI signal which carries control commands to and from your AV components. 

Make sure you've enabled the various Anynet / CEC functions on both your TV and amp.  Make sure you've disabled any eco modes that may lengthen the time it takes your amp to respond to the TV.

I bring eco mode up as these TV's seem to have a broken CEC implementation. The TV wakes and asks who's on the CEC bus. It's supposed to wait a beat for the various devices to wake and respond. In my experience, Samsung TV's don't wait the length of time required by the spec and just flip back to TV speakers. When your amp does respond to the query, the TV doesn't bother to fix its mistake. 

0 Likes
JosephWit
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Eco modes and power saving are turned off. TV HDMI CEC and Yamaha receiver HDMI control are on. I have tried every combination of settings possible, multiple times...It doesn't help that the documentation and terminolgy for both devices is so lame, but I'm pretty sure I haven't missed anything.
I guess it makes sense that if I power on the TV and the receiver fails to power on, the TV won't find it to send ARC audio to, so it would reset to "TV speakers".

0 Likes