JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Frame TV control with standard IR remote?

(Topic created: 06-12-2020 07:55 AM)
userI5f0LTpJ71
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Ok, this is a different question.  We are looking to control a Frame TV with a standard remote, using IR (infrared).   I am NOT asking about using the OneRemote to control other devices, which I know the OneRemote can do.

For reasons I don't need to describe (but see below)  I don't want to use the OneRemote at all.   I want to be able to point a standard remote at the Frame TV to turn it on or off, and to control whether it is in art mode or not.  I don't need to control volume.

Since the OneConnect box is hidden (naturally),  there won't be line-of-sight to send an IR command to the OneConnect box (though I could use an IR repeater).   However, I don't see any information that the OneConnect box can be controlled by IR anyway.

If neither of those works, perhaps it is possible to have an IR remote to turn on/off the power to the TV or to the OneConnect?  That doesn't solve the art on/off problem though.

This is the only issue standing in the way of our going ahead with the Frame TV.

Thank you for any help!

----------

In case you're intested, this is what we're trying to do ...Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 5.38.26 PM.png

13 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

We can't guarantee compatibility regarding remotes not designed for this television. The television uses IR for Power On/Off but all other functions use Bluetooth pairing between the remote and the television.

0 Likes
userI5f0LTpJ71
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

i understand that you can't guarantee compatibility using a standard IR remote.  

Just to clarify, though, when you say, "the television uses IR for power on/off", you are specifically saying the Frame TV power can be controlled by directing an IR signal directly to the Frame TV?  

I believe art mode is controlled by a long press of the on/off control.  Does that work with the IR signal?

Lastly, where can I obtain the codes to learn into my IR remote to be able to do this?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am saying that is how it is controlled. The remote power button uses IR and the rest of the functions use Bluetooth.

I do not believe that IR is used to control art mode, long pressing the on/off button utilizes the Bluetooth portion of the remote.

Remote codes are dependent on the remote and provided by the remote manufacturer.

You are very welcome.

As far as the set up that you're trying to accomplish, if HDMI is an option, CEC would be much simpler than setting up a repeater for power.

If it is not, a 3rd party smart remote could resolve this, but I do not know the limitations of these remotes regarding Bluetooth functions.

userI5f0LTpJ71
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you, SamsungGill.   

I don't question your knowledge or expertize, but I remain a bit confused.   As far as I know (from documents/manuals), the only way to turn on/off the FrameTV is via OneConnect, which does not use IR at all, either as an input to the OneConnect, nor does it use IR to talk to the Frame TV (over the "invisible cable").  Obviously, the OneConnect box does not have an IR sensor, and is normally hidden anyway.  Therefore, I don't see how IR is involved in controlling the Frame TV.

I didn't see any specs for the OneRemote that mention IR at all.  What I really need to know is this: does the OneConnect actually emit  IR codes for on/off?   I understand that the OneConnect box can send IR commands to control other devices).  I assume that the IR sensor (that appears to be) on the FrameTV is used only to pass IR to the OneConnect so it can blast it to other devices.    Is that right?  

You've said

The remote power button uses IR and the rest of the functions use Bluetooth.

I assume by "the remote power button", you mean the one on the OneRemote?  Does that mean that if you don't point the OneRemote to the FrameTV (so it can see the IR commands), it will not actually turn the TV on or off?

So, just to be 100% redundant and duplicative (!), if I CAN turn on/off the FrameTV without even involving the OneConnect box at all ... that's great!  

I guess I can possibly deal with the art mode on/off with the OneRemote, but it would be handy if there was a default inside the FrameTV to select art mode or not when the "off" signal is recevied.

As to the IR codes themselves, well, I guess I need further clarification.   You're right that normally the IR codes emitted by a remote are determined by the remote manufacturer (and are pertinent to a specific controlled device).

However, with a "universal" remote, it can LEARN the IR codes that the Frame TV will respond to.  Perhaps the detailis of how that code is transmitted may vary by the remote.  However,  with all TVs I've ever used, there is a list of functions that the TV responds to, and the remote needs to learn or be trained to emit those codes.  If the OneRemote emits IR codes, it will be possible to learn those codes from the OneRemote into the FireTV remote.

As to HDMI, unfortunately, while the source material will come from the FireTV via HDMI, it won't work in this case to use HDMI for on/off, I think.   The FireTV remote uses Bluetooth to talk to the FireTV stick.  I can control content that way, and go to the "settings" menu to control the FireTV stick itself, including powering it off, resetting it, etc.   It's more than awkward (from a UI perspective) to turn the FireTV Stick on or off that way.   Instead, we'd use the FireTV remote to control the TV locally using IR, and use it via BlueTooth to control the FireTV itself. That's why the newest Fire TV remotes can learn the IR codes for most TVs to control on/off and volume/mute.

In any case, we're not planning to use Bluetooth features of the remote to talk to the Samsung devices, only to talk to the FireTV stick itself.  We will use the (learnable) IR commands to talk directly to the Samsung Frame TV.

Your futher clarification will be most appreciated!

Thanks again.

0 Likes
userflb7hXQrvC
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

A couple of things.  The Frame TV (and any other Samsung with a One Connect) has the IR receiver on the TV itself, not on the One Connect Box.  The One Connect Box does have an IR repeater to control other devices but no receiver.  Second, IR Samsung remotes can control the power and Art Mode with the power (toggle) button.  Because the Smart Remote that comes with the Frame uses IR for the power commands, you are basically doing the same thing that a universal remote power toggle would do.  I can take my 5 year old basic IR samsung remote, point it at my Frame TV and control both power and Art with the power toggle button.  Short press power toggle with turn the TV on, or toggle between art mode and TV on.  A long hold (3 seconds or so) will take the TV from TV On to Powered Off completely.  Hope this makes sense.

0 Likes
userI5f0LTpJ71
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks ... seems our situation will work well.   Appreciate your answer.

0 Likes
userI5f0LTpJ71
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

It's all working ... the FireTV remote turns the Frame TV on and off, and can control volume.     Having an odd problem that  these controls will stop working after a minute or so, unless I get closer to the TV.   I can control the volume at the intended distance ... for a while ... but if I stop using the remote,  the TV does not respond at all.    It seems the Samsung doesn't want to recognize the IR signal if it is more than 10-15' from the TV.  However, if it does recognize the remote, and I walk as much as 40-50' (yes) away from the TV, while holding the volume buttons up or down, it does work.

Is there some IR sensitivity setting we can adjust on the Frame TV? 

0 Likes
usermXvLhhODH2
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I've been trying to follow your responses but it's been a bit difficult, as I have zero expertise on the subject. I simply would like to put my one connect box behind the wall of my Frame T.v. and have the ability to control all functions. If this is possible (sounds like you've accomplished this) what equipment (exactly) should I get including the remote you use?  Could you diagram the set up please? Thank you for your time and incite.

0 Likes
userI5f0LTpJ71
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

The remote that comes with the Frame TV of course does control "all functions" of the Frame TV.   It's not a universal remote (that can learn codes for other devices).   However, the OneConnect box can apparently forward IR commands to other devices.  I'm not doing that, so can't help in that regard.

What equipment are you using other than the Frame TV itself?

0 Likes