JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Full Chroma 4:4:4 outside of PC mode on Q70T

(Topic created: 12-22-2020 01:59 PM)
Jaymo1978
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi folks! I'm not sure if there's a place to suggest this or not, but I wanted to put it here to see if anyone knows about this possibility, or if there's someplace better I should post it! I have a Q80R for my living room, love it, and when my last TV broke, it was a no-brainer. I got a Q70T for my gaming setup and love it, but I have one thing I'd love to happen: we need full-chroma 4:4:4 support outside of PC mode. All gaming consoles automatically output in full 4:4:4 color, but on the Q70T, in order to get full color without 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, you have to switch the input label to PC.

The problem with that is, setting the input label to PC disables MANY settings that I would like access to. I already have it set to "Game" mode, which narrows down the settings to those things which don't contribute to input lag, but setting it to PC also greys out my settings even further, blocking out things like Contrast Enhancer and even the "Color" picture setting. It seems like we definitely should be able to get 4:4:4 without having to set the input label to PC, so we can still adjust those other settings without having to opt for compressed color.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know some experts say "eh, it's not that big of a difference, it shouldn't matter," but as a gamer who also works staring at screens a lot, you can really tell the small details. I know my old TV (an LG) and others of that brand used to have the same quirk, had to be set to PC mode, but a firmware update fixed it so they were able to properly display 4:4:4 in any mode, not just PC. Hoping the same is possible with this, since it's a 2020 model!

----------------------------------------------
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you DO criticize them, you're a mile away. And you have their shoes.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you for sharing!  We will forward your feedback accordingly.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you for sharing!  We will forward your feedback accordingly.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Jaymo1978
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Awesome, thanks very much for your help! Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas! 

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you DO criticize them, you're a mile away. And you have their shoes.
0 Likes
userbDy3CrjxAM
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

This is IMPORTANT. Games usually have lots of text too. There definetly should be an option. Just turn it off in Game mode as well. Why does it only work in PC?

Jaymo1978
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

@userbDy3CrjxAM wrote:

This is IMPORTANT. Games usually have lots of text too. There definetly should be an option. Just turn it off in Game mode as well. Why does it only work in PC?

ABSOLUTELY agree, yes! It seems crazy to limit it to PC-only when all consoles are outputting in 4:4:4 now. The Q70T has a specific Input Label for "Xbox." It even changes the icon to an Xbox logo, so it's like the TV was designed for Console Input, maybe even specifically for Xbox compatibility, but disables one of the quality features of that device. Strange....

I would even suggest (I think you mentioned this) that when we enable Game Mode, it should automatically allow 4:4:4 as part of that mode - seems like that would be an easy fix to implement!