JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How does TV recognize what is connected to its HDMI? Apple TV

(Topic created: 07-14-2019 04:04 PM)
tomsframe
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame

I connected my Apple TV 4K to my Q6FN's HDMI port, and the TV recognized it as an AppleTV and gave it the Apple icon in the Home dock. But somehow the settings got messed-up and I lost that icon, and when I do a Reset and the TV attempts to recognize what is connected to its HDMI ports, it now comes-up as Unknown and I can find no way to get the ATV icon back.

How does this detection process work? How to get apple icon back?

9 Replies
Options
QLED and The Frame

If you disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable, the TV should initiate the device detection process again. If AppleTV is powered on during the process, the TV should be able to quickly recognize that device and add the icon to Home.

0 Likes
Solution
tomsframe
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks I tried that but the icon would spin & spin and finally say Unknown for me. I did get it fixed and I think it was the CEC setting that was off. After I put CEC to On and Reset from the menu the set did finally (and quickly) ID my ATV4K and give me an Apple icon for it!

0 Likes
Options
QLED and The Frame

That's correct. In order for TV to be able to detect AppleTV, CEC has to be turned on from AppleTV side for the two devices to communicate.

0 Likes
userlk9Xz5HV5a
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Where I can find the CEC setting in appletv? 

0 Likes
userKQXY24LHd7
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Settings > Remotes and Devices > Control TVs and Receivers > ON

0 Likes
userv5quultebD
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I found an even easier, more reliable way:  Make sure the AppleTV is on.  Then with your Samsung remote, select the home/smart button, then scroll left to Source.   Click select or up, then scroll all the way to the right and select "Universal Remote".  

On the Universal Remote screen, select "New Device" & hit select.  On Select Device Type, select "OTT Box/Game Console"; select "TV Directly" (if that's how it's connected).  For Select Brand, select Apple and hit select.

It'll then ask you to confirm whether the arrow keys work to control the Apple TV (you'll see a small preview of the apple tv screen).  Use the samsung remote to move to the up/down/left/right arrows and hit select -- you should see the appletv screen change accordingly.

It'll add the AppleTV to the samsung smart home screen with the correct logo, and the samsung remote will operate the appletv as well.

Good luck!

userKQXY24LHd7
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Fantastic! Your instructions were perfect. Worked great for me - THANK YOU!

I wouldn't have guessed to use "Universal Remote".

It's pretty ridiculous that the TV forgets the connected device and its setup simply because you powered it off. This time, it got rebooted because of a software update.

Come on, Samsung...

0 Likes
Samsung_ttYAwNc
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Try reprogramming the TV are unplug it for about 5min to reset

0 Likes
userKQXY24LHd7
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks, this worked for me. I had CEC on, so I turned it off and back on, then unplugged/replugged the ATV HDMI and now it detected it and set the icon. 

However, if I sleep the ATV while the input is set to the ATV, it forgets the ATV and goes back to "Unknown". It doesn't preserve it. 

Very annoying.

0 Likes