Original topic:

How to get The Frame to startup in Art mode when motion sensor is blocked

(Topic created: 09-08-2022 12:16 PM)
userltwXvvZSMj
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a 75" Frame TV (2022 Model).  I have installed a frame around the outside and it blocks the motion sensor.  I am not interested in adding an additional sensor to the tv as I like the super clean look that I have right now.  I have Alexa integrated and I also have a SmartThings hub.  I have automation setup to turn the tv on when I'm home at a particular time.  That all works, but what DOESN'T work is getting it to startup in art mode.  So, I want it to turn on every morning at 6:45 am in Art mode when I'm home.  Smart things has an option called "Change Source" which seems like it should do what I want, but when I turn on that option for the automation routine it shows "TV" in blue letters under the "Change Source" but it's not click able.. I can't change it to "Art mode" like I would expect.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

4 Replies
userltwXvvZSMj
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Agreed, but this isn't a solution.  Hard to believe that there isn't a way to do this.

userR9bF9MJQzh
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

It's incredibly hard to do, but it is possible. It's like Samsung forgot this was a frame TV when they set up the Smartthings integration.

What I have done is to add the TV to Smartthings, enable the Smartthings Skill in Alexa, and discover the device.

This gets you a device, which unfortunately only has on and off (no Art Mode). The "on" setting turns the TV fully on (as mentioned), and "off" turns the TV fully off (not to art mode) - Samsung, what were you thinking?

Anyway, the "trick" is to set up a routine in Alexa, with a key word or schedule, and add your Samsung device to turn ON (yes I know this will  turn the TV on).

Now add a second device, but pick "Smart Home", "all devices" and scroll down until you find one called "TV" or "TV 1" labeled as "video control". When you select this (it is created when you enable Alexa and log in to your Amazon account on the TV), you now have more options, one of which is "ambient mode". Select Ambient mode "on", and this will set the TV to "Art Mode".

You may have to add a delay between the TV turning on, and selecting "Ambient Mode" as the TV acts weird otherwise.

The other options on this "video control" device are useless (two power setting that do the same as the Smartthings device - two? and a bunch of controls you will never use).

The only other good thing is that this device allows you to change channel/volume etc on the TV via Alexa. You can't rename it though, so in my case (as I already have another TV device) I'm stuck asking Alexa to "tune to channel 8 on TV 1". It's ridiculous, as the TV allows you to "change the TV name" in Alexa settings, but it doesn't do anything (ie TV 1 remains TV 1 no matter what you do).

Also note, this device (TV1 ) does not appear anywhere else other than in the "routines" add "smart home", "all devices" menu, which is bizarre. You won't find it in "devices".

userOioTUMjmCu
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame
Delo frames sells an external sensor in case you block the sensor with a frame
0 Likes
uservqLzcUoMUa
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame
This is crazy. The whole point in buying The Fame is for art mode but its really difficult to use. I cant get it to dim with lighting and the only method i can find to start it is menu selec tion scroll, scroll ... select. Etc . Its worthless if there is no instructions and the path to using art mode is difficult to impossible.
0 Likes