JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q6FN remote control "Home" button not working

(Topic created: 12-01-2018 04:14 PM)
userH3XjfVkjtX
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a Q6FN (2018) model which is 2 days old. Last night I was in the settings adjusting the picture for the first time and today when the television was turned on, the Home button on the remote doesn't do anything. Light flashes red on the remote, no menus, no app bar, no nothing. Can't change inputs with the remote, settings or really anything important at all.

I researched it a bit and have tried the following so far: I unplugged the television while off, waited and then plugged it in. Power it up (with the remote) and still nothing. Repeated that process a few times. I have also re-synced the remote (hold Play / Back simultaneously for 3 seconds). It re-syncs successfully, still nothing. All the other buttons on the remote function normal, even the "long" press function of home works which brings up the remote assistance reference number. Short press of Home to access pretty much anything important is the culprit.

Other solutions I've read involve accessing settings to reset the Smart Hub etc. which is of course impossible because I can't get to the settings in the first place.

A little side note for flavor: 7 months ago I got a full refund on a Samsung KS8500 which had 4 repairs in a single YEAR, under warranty. After battling Samsung. I SWORE I would never buy another Samsung product and sat on the money until 2 days ago where after a lot of research I decided to take the leap...give them a second chance. It has the features I want (gaming). It looks great, price isn't bad. My frustration level is well beyond 9000. You know what they say, "fool me once".

122 Replies
Options
QLED and The Frame

@userH3XjfVkjtX: Please send us a private message to http://bit.ly/2CGMMUe with the model number and the serial number of your unit.

0 Likes
userH3XjfVkjtX
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I can confirm with 100% confidence it is the SmartHub that is crashing, simply using the voice control to activate settings and reset the SmartHub makes it work. Oddly enough I was using voice control with the TV disconnected from the internet, because I thought maybe the smart features off would help. I also didn't agree to the agreements so the apps don't even show up (on purpose).

This morning my wife connected it to the internet because she thought she could use Netflix, without knowing I didn't want it on the net. What do you know, crashed the Smart Hub. Home button not working again. The real kicker is it compounded the problem because previously I was using Bixby with the internet off and now it tells me I can't use voice without a connection to the internet. I was 100% using voice without the internet connected for days. To top off that new issue, I manually updated my TV to the latest Samsung firmware via USB and it has rolled my firmware update back to the out of the box firmware on its own. 

I like the picture, I like the picture features as a gamer...but this TV is about to get returned and I'll never look back at Samsung again in my life being the second headache in 2/2 times. I sent a direct message with the requested information.

userW6gYscAQr0
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame
I confirm this 100% also. Immediately after setup straight out of the box, no home button response. Use voice commands to Reset Smart Hub and it comes back up, rerun the setup process, dead again. What I found was that if I used the SmartThings app to do the entire tv setup process, that ot then worked and contiued to work. Software bug in Smart Hub setup process, 100%.
userp2qMdjXfsh
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

The information in this response was more helpful than support. I had to use the voice command to get the television to respond. Once it did, everything was restored back to normal. Hopefully this problem does not happen again. 

0 Likes
userlL3uQ8DPMU
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am having the exact same issue. Bought it 2 days ago and mine is doing the same. Also samsungs tech support is worthless. Really thinking about returning their gargabe tv and getting a different brand.

0 Likes
userhJ6lG2IHzo
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same issue here. Smart hub acting up. Unable to do a factory reset because those button not available, greyed out.

0 Likes
userhJ6lG2IHzo
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame
Forgot to say it is a brand new 82 inch TV.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

@ userhJ6lG2IHzo Have you tried to soft reset and test again? 

0 Likes
userdzosWSqd1h
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I'm having the same issue with my QN82Q6FNAFX. It was installed 11/29/18 by the Geek Squad. The home button worked fine while they were here. The TV responds to every button on the remote, except for the home button.  The only way I can get to the apps, like prime video, is to use the voice command.  However, the voice command doesn't work to get to settings, etc.

Frustrating!

0 Likes