JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q90t screen dims whenever subtitles apear in HDR

(Topic created: 12-18-2020 01:11 PM)
userK7K9IavFYg
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I just got the q90t 65 few days ago and already regret it.

It appears that whenever I'm watching HDR content and subtitles appears the whole screen slightly dims down. 

The only way to avoid it is by setting Local Dimming to Low, which really sacrifices a lot of pop to the picture quality. 

How did Samsung allow this to happen on higher end TV that cost so much? This is really frustrating.

Are Samsung awares of the issue? Do Samsung intend to fix that on a firmware update?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
14 Replies
userK7K9IavFYg
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

@userTGUoCFvx7m  Oh I see...

This is so upsetting.

Are Samsung even aware of this issue?

Unfortunately I really doubt that they would fix it /:

Solution
userK7K9IavFYg
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi,  I might have a true workaround!
I would be happy if you can check it on your side and let me know, before I go and and open a bottle of champagne 🙂
So I've switched from Movie to Standard mode and this brightness issue is no longer happening!
I applied all the image settings so it's look 100% the same to what I had in Movie but now I can set Local dimming to high or standard and I'm not experiencing anymore any change to the brightness with subtitles.
Please let me know if it works for you.

user6IBawPeDzL
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Even with the same settings, Movie and standard does not give same picture.

0 Likes
userK7K9IavFYg
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

well it's close enough and much better than having blinking screen on Movie mode or even worse- setting Local Dimming to LOW.
I think the slight difference between their picture is due to the behaviour of the Local dimming which obviously has it issues. for instance in Movie picture mode setting LD to "High" gives a lower contrast than setting LD to
"Standart" which is abviously not expected. and In Standart picture mode there is almost no difference between LD on High and Standart..

0 Likes
Kaksmugglarn
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Sorry in advance for bad english, im from Sweden. ☺️🤙🏼
I bought the q90t in Okt -20, and having a lot of issues, one of them is the subtitle dimming in hdr. Like you said, the only way to clear it is to put LD to low, and u dont want that., you loose the benefits of HDR content, and getting a much darker picture quality.

Im also having problems with VRR when gaming on Xbox SX, horizontal scanlines all over tve place that makes every text thats on the screen left blinking.

Also audio issue that leaves me with a severe audiodelay when connecting my Xbox through hdmi 4 ( gaming port ).

I’ve called Samsung support several times, and if u having a lucky day, then mayby u get to talk with someone that knows what VRR are. 
They told me that its nothing wrong with the tv but if i want, they can tur off Local dimming for me??!!! 😳
And they want me to take a picture of the blinking text with VRR in game mode 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:,when i explained why you cant take picture of a blinking picture, then they told me to record it, but the video frequenzy is the same as the blinking and appers flawless on the video. And even if it didn’t, the small size the video has to be kompressed to fit in a mail, makes it look like a dogs vomit! 
My first and last Samsung tv. 
stay off this one guys.