Original topic:

QN90A game mode local dimming issue when set to standard/high, washed out colors/icons

(Topic created: 01-26-2022 11:31 AM)
Madslim
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

This issue has been brought up various times by users on AVSForums (2021 Samsung QN90A Neo Qled 4K Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk) | Page 592 | AVS Forum).

The issue is that local dimming standard and high do not work correctly in game mode when xbox series x or ps5 are connected. Icons/menus/hud/text are washed out and colors are dull. This is only fixed when setting local dimming to low. It is temporarily fixed when you press the menu button on the remote, which causes the whole screen to brighten up which then fixes the colors. Firmware 1901 has not fixed this.

SAMSUNG please look into this issue, game mode local dimming should work flawlessly on a $1400 flagship TV and the issue has been prevalent throughout various firmware levels.

19 Replies
userX4AKZzy1eX
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have the same problem. Any news on any fix? I bought the TV directly from Samsung a few days ago. Do you know if I can return it and get my money back?

Saudumm
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I've spoken to Samsung Support (Germany) and they've told me that this is how the TV works and there's nothing they can do at they moment. They also said that it is possible, that this issue could maybe get fixed in a future update.

I've decided to return the tv because my main use would have been for gaming and the issue is too severe for me to enjoy this TV.

kcatarino
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Here's a sample of the slow dimming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVoILwmSvzA

Apparently this TV is supposed to have great local dimming. As you can see it as slow as hell and causes green smears. This is only in 4K 60 FPS and it's eve...
0 Likes
uservHwgnt3so5
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have this problem as well.  If they don’t fix it, I won’t get a Samsung as my next tv.  Get with it Samsung, a high nit tv, with 120hz and VRR will definitely be used for games, but your software breaks one of it’s intended uses!   If Sony ever gets VRR right I may go back to them or (shudders)….LG(I hate LG as a company)

ZBOgamingEU
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Please Samsung Support fix this Processing /Local Dimming Issue. Every Time (also in my case HDR Game Mode) if a Game HUD or other Overlay is in front of a darker background the Colors will go dull and grey. If the background changes to a brighter background the HUD / Overlay looks normal and colorful (or if you open the TV menu).

It should be fixable if you send this issue to the developer team. 

In Witcher 3 for example the text yellow goes greenish yellow and dull, the buttons will go more grey. 

Dull Game HUD Witcher 3 example (look to the cross and circle symbol😞

dimming bug color dull.jpg

Normal Colors (look to the cross and circle symbol😞

dimming bug gone menu.jpg

In real life it is much more noticable than on camera. This TV has a very good Picture quality but this issue should be fixed.

QN90AAT 65´ (europe)

userYN6xvcYmi2
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Yeah,  I noticed this as well.  It must be a software issue considering that opening the samsung menu magically fixes the colors.  But when it's off, yes, icons will have dulled color for some reason.

0 Likes
Options
QLED and The Frame
I would rather see blooming over color wash out. GIVE US OPTIONS AT THIS POINT!
usery17YSXJ2HJ
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

This. This is the reason I despise my QN90A and brand this as the worst purchase I have ever made. I had an OLED for 5 years and it received the dreaded burn-in problem so I thought "Hey, let's try something different." Due to the company trying to satisfy people who dislike blooming, the local dimming algorithm is way too aggressive, causing bright white text in games like Skyrim to be dull gray and hard to see. In games like Diablo 3, the entire health bar at the top of the screen in dark maps is washed out and dull making it incredibly difficult to see. Games like Hitman when using "sneak sense" causes a weird "blue halo" to form around enemies not found on ANY OTHER TV (because local dimming does not know how to handle the smaller individual enemies). I injured my foot when I purchased this TV and was outside the return window so I ended up making it my barely-used bedroom tv for watching casual TV since it is FAR too bad for gaming. I ended up spending even more money buying a newer OLED set from another company and am much happier with that one even if it exhibits burn-in issues in a few years. I will not buy another Samsung solely because of this dimming issue. I have been reading horror stories on countless forums and support sites yet Samsung refuses to fix this issue. I am done with them as a company.

0 Likes
ZBOgamingEU
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

i send this issue to the Samungs Support with pictures and also a link where some owners talking about the problem. It is a processing problem which affect all NEO QLED series in 2021. It should be fixable.

They send it to the developer team. Now i´m waiting for an anwser. 

I think that´s how the local dimmung work in movie mode. Sometimes the subtiles merge with the background and you will get much less blooming.

But that should not happen while game mode because details are important and i hope they will change that. 

0 Likes