JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Frame and Amazon Alexa hands free questions

(Topic created: 05-29-2023 05:14 AM)
duceno1
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi all.  Due to having a physical disability I rely on Alexa for hands-free operation of the tv.  I recently purchased a Samsung Frame, and am running into a couple of issues.  To begin, I use external Amazon devices, not the built in Alexa.

Question 1:  Is it possible when switching back from a smart app to live broadcast TV that it returns directly to a channel?  Currently my screen returns to the main screen showing all of the smart apps, and a small 'live tv' window, which I must then toggle with my phone's smartthings app to select 'live tv' to bring up the full tv channel.

Question 2:  I've used a firestick previously, which when using Alexa, I was able to navigate within smart apps.  For example, in Youtube I could say 'move right', then 'play #1' and it would play that selection.  Can the apps within Samsung be navigated similarly?

Question 3:  Using an external alexa device, what command do I use to return to live tv from a smart app?

Thanks for any help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ACFootballCase
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi there! I'll do my best to help you with your questions regarding your Samsung Frame TV and Alexa.

1. Regarding switching back to live broadcast TV: The behavior you described, where the screen returns to the main screen with a small 'live TV' window, is the default behavior of the Samsung Frame TV. Unfortunately, there may not be a direct way to change this behavior and have it return directly to a channel when switching back from a smart app. However, you could try reaching out to Samsung customer support or referring to the user manual of your TV for any specific settings or options that could help with this.

2. Navigating within smart apps using Alexa: With an external Alexa device, you can control certain functions within smart apps on your Samsung Frame TV. However, the extent of control may vary depending on the app and its compatibility with Alexa. You can try using commands like "Alexa, navigate right," "Alexa, select," or "Alexa, play" to interact with the apps and navigate through their menus. Experimenting with different voice commands can help you discover what works best for each specific app.

3. Returning to live TV from a smart app using Alexa: To return to live TV from a smart app using an external Alexa device, you can try saying "Alexa, go to live TV" or "Alexa, switch to live TV." This should prompt your Samsung Frame TV to switch back to the live broadcast.

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 Replies
Solution
ACFootballCase
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi there! I'll do my best to help you with your questions regarding your Samsung Frame TV and Alexa.

1. Regarding switching back to live broadcast TV: The behavior you described, where the screen returns to the main screen with a small 'live TV' window, is the default behavior of the Samsung Frame TV. Unfortunately, there may not be a direct way to change this behavior and have it return directly to a channel when switching back from a smart app. However, you could try reaching out to Samsung customer support or referring to the user manual of your TV for any specific settings or options that could help with this.

2. Navigating within smart apps using Alexa: With an external Alexa device, you can control certain functions within smart apps on your Samsung Frame TV. However, the extent of control may vary depending on the app and its compatibility with Alexa. You can try using commands like "Alexa, navigate right," "Alexa, select," or "Alexa, play" to interact with the apps and navigate through their menus. Experimenting with different voice commands can help you discover what works best for each specific app.

3. Returning to live TV from a smart app using Alexa: To return to live TV from a smart app using an external Alexa device, you can try saying "Alexa, go to live TV" or "Alexa, switch to live TV." This should prompt your Samsung Frame TV to switch back to the live broadcast.

0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you so much for sharing! This is all really really good info!

0 Likes
duceno1
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you so much for taking the time in responding. I will give your suggestions a try!

0 Likes