Original topic:

Smart app sound won't play through receiver

(Topic created: 02-03-2021 09:54 PM)
alternapop
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

TV is a QN65Q70RAFXZA with the latest firmware

I have my tv connected to an Onkyo AV Receiver and a cable box connected to my Receiver. The Receiver is connected to the tv via the HDMI 4 port. I also have an optical cable connected from the tv to my Receiver. I think usually I have it configured to use ARC through the HDMI 4 connection.

Sound for cable always works.

Sound for smart apps, run from the tv itself, usually works. If I use my tv remote, and select something like Netflix, YouTube, or HBO Max, the system does its magic and sound for the selected app works and comes out the Receiver.

Occasionally, like once every 6 months, sound for smart apps just stops working. I do nothing different that causes this. If I go to Settings > Audio, it'll initially show these options:

TV, Receiver, Optical, Bluetooth

But the 'Receiver' option disappears within a second and won't reappear until some unknown time later. (Next day?) I can't select it.

If I select 'tv' sound works but it's coming out of the tv.  If I select 'optical' sound fails for apps. When I select an app, sound continues to come from the cable box.

Usually I do nothing and it'll just start working the next day.

However this time it hasn't worked for over a month. I've tried going back through configuring and just can't get it to work the way it used to.

What's causing this?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
10 Replies
alternapop
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Resetting the audio under 'expert settings' is greyed out.

I don't remember if I reset the hub, probably. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this many months ago and don't remember all the things I tried. It's working now so I don't want to have to do it needlessly. It will stop working by itself and the fix thus far has been to unplug the hdmi cable, plug it back in, then disable & re-enable Anynet+. That's worked the last 2 times.

0 Likes