Original topic:

Sound Sync - Q90B QLED TV required USB software update, not just the internet update.

(Topic created: 05-29-2022 10:49 AM)
userml0rLQqo4r
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I received a 50" Q90B (2022) directly from Samsung last week. While installing, it updated its software. I think it became version 1204. After finishing setup we watched TV that evening and the speakers' sound synchronization was TERRIBLE! Cable box HDMI stumbled every 10-40 seconds and the Amazon TV app drifted off noticeably after a few minutes. Yes, I call that TERRIBLE and annoying to watch. The Amazon channels could be corrected momentarily by pausing and resuming but the Cable TV problem persisted.

After poking around on the forums I read messages indicating I should try downloading new firmware using the USB-stick means of updating. Imagine my surprise that the downloadable version is 01211.2022-05-13. Version 1211 fixed the sound problem (Hooray!). So a TV shipped on the 23rd downloaded their 'latest' software on the 26th (1204) which was AWFUL but version 01211.2022-05-13 (May 13th) corrected it.

How is it that the USB-stick technique accesses a later software version than the TV fetches? This does not portend well for auto-updates or the TV's internet-accessed updates in the future. Sigh.

Otherwise, we are very happy with our new TV!

2 Replies
Options
QLED and The Frame

I believe TV SW updates get rolled out incrementally in waves as opposed to all at the same time to avoid server overloads and other risk factors.

0 Likes
userml0rLQqo4r
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks. My annoyance was that the TV 'set itself up' by downloading and installing a defective software version while there was a better version available that you needed to discover by searching the Samsung support website. Most people are unaware how and/or unable to perform such an update. 

It reminds me of:

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

0 Likes