Original topic:

Sound cuts out regularly on streaming services via Apple TV

(Topic created: 02-08-2022 11:26 AM)
akardon1
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I recently purchased and installed a SAMSUNG 65-Inch Class QLED Q70A Series - 4K UHD Quantum HDR Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN65Q70AAFXZA, 2021 Model). I have a FIOS TV box and an Apple TV as well. Rather than use the Samsung all-in-one remote, I prefer to just switch inputs and go back and forth with my FIOS remote and my mini Apple TV remote. Except...

Quite often when I'm watching something on Apple TV, as soon as I switch programs or streaming services and start the next show, the sound completely drops out. I have to go "back" a screen and then re-enter the program in order for the sound to kick in. I've unplugged it countless times and ran all the internal diagnostics. I changed up HDMI cables but it still happens intermittently. 

To say this is frustrating and annoying is a massive understatement. I feel like a driver update should solve the problem but I am completely up to date on my software with it. I've seen others complain about this with no resolution from Samsung. Is there anything that can be done or do I need to call a technician (Or just return it and get a Sony?)

Thanks,

Andrew

8 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
QLED and The Frame

Good afternoon, I will be happy to assist you. Does this happen with the FIOS box and internal apps, or is it just the Apple TV box that does this?

0 Likes
Members_cocPgOP
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hello, thanks. I was using the Amazon Prime app on the TV itself when it shut off but yesterday, I was using Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 when the TV shutdown on its own 3 times yesterday. The Shield was still powered on but when TV shutdown, the Shield then also turned off which it should. I might have had a similar experience with Netflix also.  Thank you for the offer of help. What can I provide that might help further?

0 Likes
akardon1
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you for the reply! I'll have to double check. I think it's fine with the FIOS box and I never even tried using the internal apps, because I prefer using the Apple TV remote. I can check that out too, but would like the Apple TV box to work with my TV without randomly dropping the sound.

0 Likes
akardon1
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Just getting back to this. It does not seem to be happening with the FIOS box, only the Apple TV 4k box.

0 Likes
usertpD04WDhSa
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I had a similar issue when my Apple TV 4K was connected directly to my Samsung TV via HDMI.  I believe the drop outs are occurring because the Apple TV is sending an audio format that the Samsung TV does not like (e.g., Dolby Atmos).  Try changing the audio output format of your Apple TV.  On your Apple TV, go to Settings then Video and Audio, change the Audio Format to either Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo.

I resolved this issue by connecting my Apple TV 4K directly to my Samsung Soundbar via HDMI.  Also, be sure to use Ultra High Speed HDMI cables.

0 Likes
akardon1
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Audio format didn't seem to help. But maybe it's my cables then. I'll have to check if they are ultra high speed. Thanks.

0 Likes
userpFIj7Yi4C9
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame
I'd like to chime in on this sound issue, I noticed it first of this Month but it may have started to or three Months ago. I do not use wifi so I mirror my phone to three different TVS. Two Samsung and one Hisense and all three is doing the same thing and it doesn't matter what I mirror. But for instance, Netflix. Amazon Prime Disney, Hulu and Paramount Plus. I just checked Samsung Free movie and YouTube and the same issue
0 Likes
usergfjc4sNszk
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Lots of people have this problem (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253552668)

I have the same problem, and the "solution" is to put the apple tv directly on the soundbar, but then I loose Q Symphony.

Is there any other options to fix this?

0 Likes