Original topic:

Sound passthrough option greyed out while using tv apps

(Topic created: 03-02-2022 07:23 AM)
userBHJAs2Y0Fi
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung Qled QN93 with a Sonos arc and 2 sonos ones as a 5.1 setup connected through the HDMI earc port.
As a audio format option i use passthrough, and this is working fine with my Playstation, external tv box or other device. But when i use tv apps like Netflix or Prime Video i noticed that the audio format setting keeps changing to auto and the passthrough option is greyed out.

Is there a way to fix this?

4 Replies
user1rxGksgIZE
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have the QN800A with the same problem.  Spent a few hours on the phone with support not getting anywhere.  

eARC to my Receiver works fine with external sources, xbox series x, DirecTV box, etc, the external connections allow pass-through to be set and seem to work well.

Apps on the TV, even the Samsung TV app. are all in one bucket for settings and have the pass-through option greyed out, auto = no sound, pcm gives 2 channels.  There is even a message in that screen saying Pass-through is only available for sources connected via HDMI, like the old days when that type of connection was required for the licensing for the sound format/content to be verified through a handshake that would not work via rca etc.

For now I need to install the Amazon Prime and HBOMAX apps on my xbox as I can't use them on the "smart tv" unless I want to suffer with 2 ch pcm to my 7.1 + capable receiver connected via earc.

My guess is they need to either explain why they won't allow it, or maybe just fix it with an update.

userA75tBV2rb0
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

hello all-             thought it was me?????????

021722 bought new qn65qn90aafxza,audio thru hdmi arc-e to denon avre-400 surround. all is fine until i stream primevideo.......no sound unless i change settings over to pcm............2 channel? what good is surround,if i cant get it thru tv on this app? yes,even some of the movies in 5.1, 2 channel only..............is samsung going to correct this??  thanks,all, m.

0 Likes
userhyzGQcYCvH
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same issue. What is the fix for this?

0 Likes
Solution
David27
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

That's how it is supposed to work. Passthrough is only when the source is an external HDMI device, the TV will passthrough the audio from that device to your soundbar or AV receiver. When using the apps, it's sending the sound directly from your TV, it's not acting as a "middleman". I get surround sound in the Netflix app with the Auto option, passthrough is greyed out because there is no HDMI source.