Original topic:

The Frame 2022 75" - Nothing But Problems

(Topic created: 05-01-2022 08:01 PM)
userTC66RDBZp2
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Wondering if anybody else has had similar issues, as I'm at wits end with this thing.

1) Menu system is super laggy.  I'm used to laggy smart TV menu systems, but this is intolerable, with sometimes as much as 10 second delays in between getting a response.  Running the device health check where it purges stuff from memory helps for a while, but inevitably it comes back.

2) Art motion sensor mode doesn't seem to work, at all. I've tried all the 2021 tricks like disabling night node, auto play last app, etc and nothing makes a difference.  If I set it to turn off after 5 minutes and leave the room, I use a webcam to monitor the TV and it could turn off in 10 minutes, it could turn off in an hour, or it could not turn off at all.  Seems totally random.

3) When the TV does finally decide to turn off, it won't turn back on.  Not by walking in front of it, not by pressing power or home on the remote, and not even by pressing the power button on the TV itself.  The only way to get it working again is to pull the plug on the OneConnect box, which is a huge pain because it's hidden.  After the tenth time pulling out by cabinet to get access, I've installed a smart power switch just so I can power cycle it.

Things I've tried:

1) Running diagnostics -- no issues
2) Switching from Wifi to Ethernet -- no difference
3) Removing the decorative frame from the bottom to see if it was blocking anything -- no difference
4) Resetting the Hub -- no difference

I work in IT, so this shouldn't be rocket science..  I don't think it's an issue with the One Connect cable or TV itself, as the picture and sound are perfect.  To me, it's either an issue with the One connect box, or the software itself.  If it's the latter, then I am not the only one.  Anybody else having issues? 

7 Replies
usercGedXZmBx7
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I'm on my second 65" 2022 Frame and have had many of the same issues. Like yours, the first one would not turn on after entering sleep mode, and the motion sensor never once worked. Customer service was useless, and after 2 hours on the phone wanted to send someone here to work on it. Since I was still in the return period, I just returned the TV and ordered a new one.

The second one arrived, and the motion sensor is better but still not good. Even with it on the lowest setting, the TV will still randomly detect motion and turn on and sometimes stay on, even though I have it set to sleep after 5 minutes. Also, this one has noticeable black shadows, which were confirmed to be due to a bad panel which now has to be replaced.

Bottom line on the Frame is the motion sensor is total **bleep** and there seems to be little, if any, quality control for a $2000 TV. The only reason I'm even keeping the TV is because of the anti-glare screen, which is the only one I've seen that truly does block reflection. Since I have it opposite a window, this is an ideal feature for me. So far, it outweighs the headaches.

One suggestion for Samsung is to allow users to disable art mode altogether. The only way to do this now is to hold down the power button on the Samsung remote, which I don't use since it can't control my cable box. When I use the power button on my cable remote, it just puts the TV in art mode, and with their screwy motion sensor, the TV turns itself back on every hour or two. So I have to keep two remotes around to fully turn off the TV. Very annoying and not well though out.

0 Likes
Options
QLED and The Frame

I'm on 1204.2 and my motion sensor/night mode seems to be working fine over here. What are you guys' art mode options settings?

0 Likes
userTC66RDBZp2
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I believe I've figured out the source of my issues.  This may or may not be the cause of similar issues for others, but I'll throw it out there for everyone, as it's probably a common issue and Samsung should really fix this.

I noticed that one of the symptoms was that whenever the TV was powered off and back on, it complained that there was no network connection detected.  This despite having a perfectly good link light on my switch.  I also noticed that the network jack on the One Connect box was only 10/100 and not gigabit, which is pretty sad for 2022.  I have a commercial grade Cisco catalyst switch at home, and I tried every possible setting, but nothing would keep the TV side link up after a power off without pulling the power on the One Connect box (ridiculous).   So I performed a network capture of the TV's switch port to see what kind of traffic was going on.  Let me just say it's a total disaster of link resets, multicasts/broadcasts, and CRC errors. The NIC they have in the one connect box is simply AWFUL and ancient technology, and even funnier, in the manual specify the use of "cat 7 cable" to be used, which not a single residential property on this planet uses unless one were to specify it with the builder.  It doesn't even make sense, because cat 7 is for use with high speed gigabit, not some ancient 10/100 interface.

So despite the cardinal rule being "always used hard wire over wireless if you are able", I reverted to Wifi.  Menu system seemed to improve considerably, but would still "freeze" randomly and way too frequently, so I then decided to look at the Wifi statistics.  I won't bore people with all the technical details and issues I found, but for all the technically inclined (or know someone who is) here's what you need to fix it:

1) Create a dedicated 5ghz ONLY SSID that's different than your current SSID for the TV and any other accessories that support 5GHZ
2) Make sure your signal at the TV is GREAT.  If not, then put another access point near your TV.  Use a powerline adapter if you need to if you don't have a network jack near there.  Do not use "mesh" access points if you can avoid it.
3) Turn off fast roaming, BSID, energy savings, airtime fairness, UAPD, and literally anything else "fancy" that's enabled on that SSID.  Also make sure you don't have any broadcast/multicast restrictions enabled.

Since doing the above, the TV menus don't lag anymore, the TV doesn't randomly reboot or get stuck "off", and art mode seems to work, though I haven't yet had time to test whether this fixes the motion sensor, as I just got this mostly sorted last night.  Will report back tomorrow on whether it fixes the motion sensor.

Apparently, Samsung has tied the functionality of the TV very much to the stability of the network connection.  You may be able to test whether this is the case for you by entirely disabling the network (like it came out of the box) and seeing if things improve (you can't test everything without internet, but it might be good enough to detect whether this is your cause).

Hope this helps someone, and I will report back on the motion sensor, but Samsung should really be ashamed to stick a 15 year old nic technology in something so new, let alone not code to handle (or at least provide feedback) on networking issues.  Googling reveals that their sad networking implementation has been a problem for years.

2) 

0 Likes
userTC66RDBZp2
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

So still a no go.  Still has to be hard powered every day unless I don't use art mode.  And the root cause isn't the networking (though that's definitely a problem as well), it's how Art mode handles the E-ARC implementation, at least with Sonos.  When you switch to Art mode it switches from external audio to internal TV speakers.  After a certain period of time it either puts the network and E-arc interface into some sort of low power or idle mode, then when you click "home" to try and bring up the menu you either a) get a black screen b) See the media selection for about a second before it switches back to Art mode or c) crashes entirely, reboots to the bouncing "home" logo and takes you back to art mode.  I now have a stupid smart plug installed just so I can power cycle the TV without having to crawl behind my bureau to pull the plug.  Pathetic. Obviously the issue is that it has trouble switching back to E-arc from Art mode after a certain period of time.

Samsung support was utterly useless-- the person barely spoke English, couldn't even fathom the problem let alone begin to troubleshoot it, and just insisted on sending a tech out.  **bleep** is a tech going to do about an obvious software/firmware issue?  Oh, and then I find out that the tech requires that I unmount the TV "in a serviceable position" before coming out and that I will be charged if he determines that there's nothing wrong with the TV. 

Spent over 4000 on a TV, Sonos Arc, and "Samsung unCare+" and it doesn't even work, incredible.

0 Likes
Amy P
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Any update on this? I am having the same issues with the motion sensor. I had no issues on the 2021 version I "upgraded" from. Despite all of the settings being turned off, the TV will still turn off after random periods of time. I contacted Samsung and was told to update the software via USB. I did so and it appeared to fix the problem, or so I thought. As soon as I reinstalled the frame, the issue returned. I took the frame back off two days ago and have not experienced any issues with the sensor turning the TV off from art mode. So the frame that I bought WITH my 75' TV is blocking the sensor. What is Samsung going to do about this?

I am also experiencing lag and will set up the 5ghz network as you suggested. Still SO IRRITATING! 

0 Likes
userTC66RDBZp2
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Nope.  Standing in front of the TV right now back from work.  New firmware released yesterday has actually made things worse.  I could usually at least turn it back on after Art mode puts it to sleep while being gone at work, even if it struggled, crashed, or lagged and usually still required a power plug pull.  Now it won't even turn on unless I yank the power.  And you're right btw, the deco frame at least partially obscures the sensor, requiring that the remote be pointed right at the tv to work, and of course screwing up the movement sensor.  I don't for the life of me understand how that made it past product testing.  I keep pressing that plastic sensor thinking it will drop more, or staring at the deco frame piece as if I could somehow be putting it on wrong, but nope, it just straight up blocks about half the sensor, with just the red light barely below the cut-off.

0 Likes
useroMXppkQSZC
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hello, just wanted to let you know that i connected a xbox controller to my Frame, and now the menu is super smooth. So i think the problem lies with the remote controller. - Sidenote my controllers "solar panel" got hard scratch the first day and looks really ugly now.

0 Likes