cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

2019 Q80R 55" - HDR10+ content causes video corruption

Only on Prime Video and Disney Plus, do I get video distortion of the signal. Things that play in only HDR10 and lower work fine. It appears mostly with scene changes, but it can happen when there's not a scene change as well. HDR10 (without the plus) seems to work okay.  This from apps installed on the tv itself. If I cast something through a Chromecast Ultra (no HDR10+) or Xbox One X (no HDR10+) it works fine. 

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: 2019 Q80R 55" - HDR10+ content causes video corruption

Does this occur on all videos on these apps when using HDR10+? Have you updated the system recently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Yes, all videos on these apps that use HDR10+, other videos on the same app that don't use HDR10+ don't have an issue. ex: The Expanse = HDR10+ = corrupted video. It's like 99% of the frames are fine, but that 1% is corrupted.  If I watch "The Man in High Castle" (S01E01) it corrupts the bottom of the screen for a few frames, like it's swimming squares (dunno how else to describe it). When I watch "The Mandalorian" I get corruption same way and intensity. If I watch something that's 4k but not HDR10+, it's fine, and everything on Netflix is fine, but I've seen it's not HDR10+, just HDR10.

Software version is T-MSMAKUC-1356.2. It updated a week or two ago, but it's been happening before it updated. I've also tried to "reset to factory settings" and it didn't help.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for this information. Can you please provide pictures of the issue? 

Highlighted
Constellation

Here you can see it in "The Expanse" in Prime Video installed on the TV. The bottom part of the screen glitched out. It's hard to capture a photo of it, so I made a video and screenshotted that. 

I've seen the bottom glitch, the middle glitch and even the whole thing glitch. To my eyes, it looks like one of the keyframes of the video was truncated. When that happens, the video puts some noise on the screen, and the intra-frames are read correctly so you can see the noise move around as if it was someone's arm or face or whatever, and then another keyframe gets loaded correctly and it looks fine for 20 - 30 seconds before it happens again. Maybe the HDR10+ content isn't read quick enough or something or it causes some kind of interrupt to happen while it's decoding video, whatever the reason, it's frustrating. This shouldn't happen.

video corruption.jpg

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for the picture! Are you able to re-create the issue? Please send us a private message with the full model code and serial number: Link

Highlighted
Constellation

I was able to recreate the issue, it doesn't matter what video is playing as long as 1. it's HDR10+ and 2. It's from an app built into the TV (as I have no sources that support HDR10+ aside from the TV itself).

Highlighted
Constellation

example of a way I reproduce it easily - Load up the Prime Video app, start "The Expanse" Season 1 Episode 1. Verify it's in HDR10+ by looking at the icon on the quick settings. Press UP on the remote, select "XRay", press UP, Left and select "Scenes" then choose scene 5 and then "Jump to scene". It glitches on the map, but if it doesn't then press UP, then press Right, skip to 10:35. There's a scene in the office where it switches back and forth between people talking. It'll glitch a few times before the scene ends at 11:35. It glitches in several locations, several times, but if it glitches on a space scene where there's a lot of black and stars around you might not notice it, which is why I chose the office scene. It's two people talking in an office, medium brightness, easy to see glitches.

Highlighted
Constellation

This also happens on my Samsung q70r TV. It only occurs on HDR10+ content on prime video and disney+ also. It gets very annoying. Running the latest firmware. It also sometimes dims and brightens the scene randomly.

Highlighted
Constellation

Well, they came out and replaced my main board, but the problem still exists. Those same videos played through those same services on my Xbox One X look fine. It's only the apps on the TV itself which show this issue. I'm suspecting it's an issue with Tizen OS itself or a hardware issue with the HDR10+ Metadata brightness scaling that's running into an interrupt which causes buffer read failures. If it were network issues, that would not be an issue, because connections to both Amazon and Disney+ are TCP SSL and thus any packet loss would cause buffering, not loss of video data.