Original topic:

4k60Hz, VRR and HDR - Windows 10 PC - Samsung 65" Class Q70A 4K TV

(Topic created: 09-29-2021 11:52 AM)
jfaith630
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Hello, I am looking for help with a brand new Samsung TV I purchased about a few weeks ago and how it interfaces with my Windows 10 PC (built about 4 years ago now). Following are links that contain all model numbers/specs:

TV: Samsung - 65" Class Q70A Series QLED 4K UHD

PC: PCPartPicker

The TV is connected to the PC’s graphics card via a brand new HDMI 2.1 cord: Amazon

I would like to get the TV working with the following graphics settings for gaming:

• Resolution: 3840 X 2160 (4K)
  • Framerate: 60Hz
  • VRR (FreeSync): ON
  • HDR: ON (This would be nice, but actually the other 3 are more important to me.)

Currently, I am running into the following major roadblocks:

1. Enabling Game Mode on the TV locks the framerate to 30Hz no matter what I do. Though this is 4k30Hz, I want 60Hz minimum considering the TV is advertised as being able to do up to 120Hz.

2. With Game Mode turned on, VRR (FreeSync) seems to be available from the AMD Radeon software options, but the TV doesn’t seem to recognize this feature at all in the Game Bar.

3. With Game Mode turned off, I am able to finally achieve 4k60Hz. However, VRR (FreeSync) is not available in the AMD Radeon software options.

4. Windows HDR seems to be available (and configurable in the AMD Radeon software options) regardless of Game Mode being on or off. However, enabling it forces 4k30Hz again.

It seems to me that of the four things I want above, I can only ever have 2 of them at once! I am curious if anyone has any idea about what I could be missing here. I understand that my graphics card is old (the HDMI rating is only 2.0b), and sometimes Windows 10 can be finicky, but to me there seems to be an issue with the TV detecting what the PC is capable of or just not working as advertised. Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Likes
0 Replies