cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

AV1 Codec on 2018-2019 8K QLED's

So at CES 2020 it was announced that the updated 8K Samsung TV’s releasing this year will feature the AV1 codec for internal 8K apps. Will us early adopters (2018-2019 Q900) be receiving this update, or left out in the dark? Smiley Indifferent -_-

If the latter, sounds like a customer relations nightmare...

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: AV1 Codec on 2018-2019 8K QLED's

I asked this same question and cannot get any answers come on Samsung you cannot allow thr new model to have the option to play the YouTube videos  in glorious 8k...

And leave us q900 owners with an expensive boat anchor....

The current contrast modulation is around 15% which doesn't even meet 8k specifications yet your new model is over 50%....

As he said above it will be a nightmare of epic proportions if we are left out in the  cold  it will be a case of total unfit for purpose tv.....   

Highlighted
Asteroid

It would be ridiculous, and atrocious, but definitely not something a multi-billion corporation hasn't already done before Smiley Indifferent

I am trying to reserve my judgment. I'm sure the new 2020 8K sets will go on sale in Mar/Apr? I am hoping we will see either updated internal apps, or One Connect Boxes if necessary, around that time...

That said, if we (early 8K adopters) aren't taken care of...then it's Bye-Bye, Samsung. TV's. Smartphones. Everything...

Highlighted
Asteroid

They are saying that the old sets will probably not receive this updste absolute  farce to be frank what a waste of $4500  

Highlighted
Asteroid

@userObougN3CsW wrote:

They are saying that the old sets will probably not receive this updste absolute  farce to be frank what a waste of $4500  

really? O.O where did you hear this?

Highlighted
Asteroid

yes, where did you see this? please post a link

Highlighted
Asteroid

@eagletrippin wrote:

yes, where did you see this? please post a link

Sidebar: Samsung  support told me that is like still "early" so you're right, it's better wait the q950TS to come out.. those are just specularion in my opionion

Highlighted
Asteroid

It's time to email Samsung Support y'all

Highlighted
Asteroid

I'm not in the habit of posting misinformation I spoke to tech support and they  were saying nothing planned...

Maybe in months and months they never tell you anything....

This tv has Earc issues, does it have 2.1 on hdmi 4 nobody can tell me....

Samsung are like we may need to swap one connect box....   

A tv of this price point 8k mind you cannot fulfil 8k you tube videos...

It has a proven 15% contrast modulation hence why lg were bagging them...

Supposed to be 50% to meet 8k specs I just think for money spent as an early adopter i wasted my money 

Highlighted
Asteroid

@userObougN3CsW wrote:

I'm not in the habit of posting misinformation I spoke to tech support and they  were saying nothing planned...

Maybe in months and months they never tell you anything....

This tv has Earc issues, does it have 2.1 on hdmi 4 nobody can tell me....

Samsung are like we may need to swap one connect box....   

A tv of this price point 8k mind you cannot fulfil 8k you tube videos...

It has a proven 15% contrast modulation hence why lg were bagging them...

Supposed to be 50% to meet 8k specs I just think for money spent as an early adopter i wasted my money 

The Support told me the technology is under development  at the moment and they have no info, again, it's better wait new sets to come out , if you own a q900ra you need to swap your one connect box to get hdmi 2.1 as i did