Original topic:

An advertised feature of the 2020 Q Series is STILL Broken (eARC Uncompressed Audio Passthrough)

(Topic created: 06-18-2021 09:55 AM)
userUw4s78Knxd
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Samsung, we've been asking about when eARC uncompressed LPCM passthrough will be fixed for a while now. See:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/Buyer-beware-2020-QLED-eARC-LPCM-issues/td-p/1598...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/Samsung-can-you-fix-the-Earc-passthrough-issue-fo...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/Samsung-Q95T-Q90t-eArc-broken/td-p/1424084

This is an advertised feature that doesn't work and is a serious dealbreaker for my setup.  (Advertised specifically here: https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-earc-and-how-to-set-on-samsung-smart-t...)

I had a chat with Samsung support in which I sent those links. I let them know this is false advertising (as uncompressed 5.1 / 7.1 is advertised on their own eARC page), it's a widely known issue (hence the links), and I namedropped my local Attorney General for assistance via the Consumer Bill of Rights.

The chat rep said "We will submit your feedback to the dedicated team, they will look into it." and "Thank you for the links, now I can mention the links while documenting your feedback, the team will work on it to release a firmware update ASAP."

I do believe the rep just knew exactly what I wanted to hear and that nothing will come of it, but if enough of us talk to support and keep threads like this active, then maybe Samsung will take it a little more seriously... or address it at all. I asked for a reference number and the rep said I can use conversation number bd2d5c25-4897-44d8-a9f7-2402c34d41da as a reference ID. If any other users contact support for this issue, feel free to use that.

Samsung, fix this, Please!

14 Replies
Cyberbuilder
Galaxy
Options
Qled and Frame
It was fixed a long while ago, did you update your firmware and ensure all devices in the chain support the standard? It works fine with Sonos Soundbars, Sony and Denon receivers.
0 Likes
userocuHbP7bON
Cosmic Ray
Options
Qled and Frame

No, It wasn't fixed. I have a Sony ST5000 with the latest firmware and full eARC and lossless formats support and it's not working. The eARC implementation of Samsung is broken and they haven't fixed it even in the latest firmware recently released.

Cyberbuilder
Galaxy
Options
Qled and Frame
Interesting. I haven't had any issues with the Z9F soundbar. Maybe it's an EDID issue.
0 Likes
userLzY6Rf4hc6
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

It doesn't work on my Q90T. I'm on the latest firmware 1462 and it downmixes audio to 2 channels rather than passing-through uncompressed LPCM.
Basically means with my ps5 -> TV -> Receiver setup I can't get lossless surround sound from games and I can't get any type of surround sound from discs with a DTS soundtrack.

0 Likes
userocuHbP7bON
Cosmic Ray
Options
Qled and Frame

I don't know if DTS will work even if they fix this because for DTS there are licensing considerations ($$$). What bothers me the most is that I bought the Q800T because Samsung was advertising this as one of the key features, and they've release their products with a broken implementation of eARC!

0 Likes
Cyberbuilder
Galaxy
Options
Qled and Frame
DTS support is already included so no additional licensing fees would be incurred
0 Likes
userLzY6Rf4hc6
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

I would imagine a DTS soundtrack would work by passing the LPCM all the way through to the receiver, but that passthrough gets botched along the way.

Turns out there is a new 2014.1 firmware as of 6/18.  Had to get it here because my TV thought I was up-to-date.  I'll test it out in the next couple of days.  I haven't seen much chatter about it online other than some local dimming fixes / issues.

0 Likes
userocuHbP7bON
Cosmic Ray
Options
Qled and Frame

2014.1 doesn't fix the problem unfortunately.

0 Likes
userLPrwBxoSFt
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Wish I'd seen all these threads before I picked up my new 2021 Qled.  This is frustrating, I've had to buy a HDfury Arcana to connect my AppleTV to my Sonos Arc as that can handle the LPCM passthrough fine rather than using the TV's eARC port where you only get stereo.  What a joke.  

0 Likes