Original topic:

Atmos/TrueHD eARC passthrough sound skipping (Q80T + HW-Q80R)

(Topic created on: 12/18/20 1:47 AM)
Awalt
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I own a brand new 75 inch Q80t TV and a relativly new HW-Q80R soundbar. TV is on the brand new 1460.9 firmware and HW-Q80R is on 1012.6 firmware.

I have this problem with infrequent skipping sound when playing TrueHD/Atmos content from an external device connected to HDMI in the TV. This apply to both the PC connected to HDMI 2 and an Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to HDMI 1. PC is set up to transmit Atmos sound for everything, so even Spotify skips when I play music from the PC, while the Nvidia Shield TV Pro skips when I play Atmos content from the apps on there.

I baught brand new high quality HDMI 2.1 cables to see if it fixed the problem, which it did not.

The audio skips happen roughly every 10-15 minutes. When it happens the sound skips for about 1-2 seconds, and the display on the soundbar shows the "Atmos by Dolby" scrolling text then "eARC" as the signal reactivates.

The skipping only happen with Atmos sound. Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus works flawlessly.

Lip sync is perfectly aligned with all audio.  

7 Replies
userEWjDYvE77Z
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

I have the same situation, just with the Pioneer VSX 1131

usermugOK4tFvg
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Same problem with Apple TV 4k connected to TV HDMI 2 and Samsung Q80T to JBL 9.1 thru HDMI 3 (eARC). All of them with 48Gbps cables. Only have problems with Atmos lossless content.

0 Likes
userw2AUVAvFWa
Cosmic Ray
Options
Qled and Frame

Common problem across the entire 2020 models, included their flagship 8k TVs.

eARC is broken.  In addition to your problem above, these TVs will NOT pass uncompressed LPCM audio but they sure do advertise this as a feature!

Samsung Support has yet to respond to a single thread...and the number of complaints seem to grow daily...most likely due to #PS5 and #Xbox Series X users who use 4k 120hz and want high quality audio going back to an AVR or Soundbar

Awalt
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I ended up connecting my Nvidia Shield TV through the soundbar, since it solves the issue atleast for that device. It's also the most important device, since the skips in audio is most annoying when watching movies. It also add support for DTS and DTS-HD audio, since the soundbar support it but the TV lack passthrough support.

Something has changed in regards to my PC. Either because of the update to 1460.9 or because of an updated Dolby Access application. (Dolby access adds Dolby Atmos support in Windows 10). Before my computer triggered the "Atmos by Dolby" scrolling text, even if I just played some music on spotify. It does not anymore, and only actually playing Atmos content will activate this scrolling text. The skipping still occurs though, but no longer with the scrolling Atmos text. It does seem more stable though, with longer durations between each time it skips. 

0 Likes
RyanBlakeIT
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Agreed, having same issues as mentioned with eARC.  Not stable at all.

Ryan Blake
Information Technology Management Professional (15+ years)
QN75Q80TAF QLED TV & Q900T Soundbar
user6m9JVOBgPe
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Come samsung I have the same problem with Windows 10 audio.  the frequent skipping of sound and the passthrough not working from my PC to my receiver!!!! This is nuts!!! FIX IT OR AT LEAST RESPOND!!!

Members_lsa9nhv
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I feel like the skipping happens on more than ATMOS content, but now i'm questioning myself. 

I have a Q70T TV + Q900T and Q70T soundbars.

I noticed the skipping on the Q70T, but it wasn't super frequent and i don't think i saw the "Dolby Atmos text". However, the skipping did resemble what happens when the ATMOS audio intially kicks off.

I then bought a Q900T, and also see the same skipping problem. But I don't know if it was ATMOS only.  My wife was complaining about skipping when we were trying to stream music to the Q70T when we were trying to use amazon music over the Alex connection.