cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think you are right. The tv is edge lit, so it is impposible to apply local dimming. How can you apply local dimming if there is no light source behind the area on the screen that you want to dim? and this is why all the brightness problem. In order for local dimming to work you must have full array screen and a many dim zones.

At least there should be an option to turn it off because its useless.

The joke is on us!!!

Returning my tv back and never buying samsung again.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The problem exists in Full Array models as well (see Q9FN).

However if the previous comment is true, they can at least give us the option to turn it off, as they did the previous years.

You can actually turn it off only on PC mode through the service menu without losing control of the backlight, so the tech is there, yet it is ridiculous that they don't allow us to do it.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Spoiler

Turning OFF Local Dimming is THE BEST they can do by far. I own a NU8000 and a KU6000 (without local dimmimg by default) and let me tell you even that in Rtings the contrast level of both are the same, it looks SO SO much better on my KU6000 its blacks are really deeper (its native contrast of 5.400:1 and NO local dimming) because of the NU8000 tends to rise the brightness at some point where the local dimming fails and its not only when subtitles are enabled and not just HDR but SDR too it just makes the blacks a more greyish tone... I was shocked to see how that contrast is with deeper blacks levels(ku600).... I tried disabling through service menu the local dimming and it looked so much better just as my Ku6000 but with the issue of losing backlight control.... In conclusion the stupid local dimming bullchit just destroys the native contrast of my Nu8000.... I would prefer by far to DISABLE it. As a tip when the local dimming is on low, normal or high it just doesnt gives better contrast, it really remains the same or worst so whats the idea of that??? it even causes more blooming or cloudings when white objects appears so its completely uselesss how can samsung not be alerted of that BIG fail!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If I turn on off in PC mode, will it stay also off in TV mode ?

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, it works only in devices connected through HDMI in which you have set the HDMI input as "PC".

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung won't allow you to disable local dimming in any way.

The reason for that is that the review sites will also disable the local dimming before the tests and as a result of that will grade Samsung TVs with lower scores because of lack of deep blacks. 

Much much more people decide whether to buy a Samsung TV based on the ratings of the review sites than based on complaints of a few people on forums so Samsung is pretty happy with the current situation.

You really think they care about you saying that you are not going to buy Samsung TVs anymore?

It's very uncommon to switch TV every one or two years and even more so now when the average size is much bigger than in the past which makes reselling a TV very difficult. So in 5 years you all will forget about your "Not buying a Samsung TV anymore!" as long as they'll lure you with some new tech or good reviews, etc. Heck, their phones were catching fire and you couldn't board a plane with them and it was forgotten so fast.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah but if someone at the company has an ounce of compassion in their hearts than maybe they will listen, but I agree with you that unless someone with influence makes a public complaint, then they will not do anything. However the more people complain, the more chances someone who is trying to buy a TV will hear the complaints and not waste their money at the very least.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Someone DID listen...

I noticed the same problems with my q9fn

Not only when displaying subtitles, but also in the android launcher of my nvidia shield... and in the youtube app.. everytime, when there was a dark background and some layers on top of it, that were bright, ...oike white buttons to click on, or pop up windows.

A technician came to my house, saw what problems i was having with the picture, buf after tests, left with the verdict, that technically everything was fine, and this then has to be the way this model looks.

I posted in the german samsung forum, and linked to this thread,... mentioned how we all agree, that this must be a faulty software. And that turning off the local dimming function in fact works as a short term remedy.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/QLED-Q9FN-Diverse-M%C3%A4ngel-angeblich-kein-Defekt/m-p/10578...

And i got email, telling me, that samshng knows about thd problem, and is working on a solution.

And yesterday i got another email, that they now have a new firmware, that is about to solve the problem, and it is in testing phase till tomorrow! That is 04/12/2019

So...fingers crossed, we are about to get a new firmware in the next days.

This is their email(in german):

vielen Dank für Ihre Geduld.

Bezugnehmend auf Ihren Post in der Samsung Community teilen wir Ihnen nach Rücksprache mit unserer Entwicklungsabteilung mit, dass sich ein entsprechendes Software-Update für die von Ihnen geschilderte Herausforderung aktuell im Testlauf befinden.

Diese Testphase ist mit aktueller Information noch bis einschließlich dem 12.04.2019 geplant.
Sobald diese abgeschlossen ist und das Update verifiziert wurde, steht es unseren Kunden und für die betreffenden Samsung Modelle Over The Network zur Verfügung.

Gern lassen Sie uns anschließend Ihr Feedback hierzu direkt in einer Antwort zukommen.

Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen selbstverständlich gern zur Verfügung.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow, thanks for letting us know.

Let's hope they deliver.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been a Samsung fanboy for many years, and I'm about to buy a new TV for a home we're building.  We've been using captions more and more, and I decided to go to Sony because of this brightness problem.  I'll delay a Sony purchase for a few more days to see what happens with this firmware upgrade.