cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userEVlrXRMFD9
Constellation

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

TLDR; Screen dimming/brightening with subtitles has NOT happend with my 2019 Samsung Q80.

Hey all,

I watch subtitles with literally everything and reading this thread (as well as other websites) gave me great pause when I wanted to buy a new Samsung QLED.  That being said, I did some testing and wanted to update everyone:

First, I went to my local best buy store in Southern California and asked if I could watch a Netflix episode on one of their TV displays.  Using the SmartShare option on my Android smartphone, I was able to load Netflix on my phone and display it on the following *2019* Samsung QLED models on display in their store:  Q70, Q80, and Q90.  There was NO screen dimming/brightening with subtitles on any of these TV's at display there.

Encouraged, I bought the *2019* Samsung Q80 (QN55Q80RAFXZA) from Best Buy, and I've had it in my apartment for the past week.  I should also note here that I use a Roku to display apps like Netflix, HBO, etc on my TV.

During this week, I watched the following movies/shows to test out: 

Netflix: The Mummy (movie, all the dark bits), Lincoln (movie, opening scene where he talks to African American soldiers outside), Daredevil, Season 1, Episode 1 (where he talks in the confessional)
HBO:  Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 1 (Especially during the Tormund Scene in a dark castle)

Whether using Netflix or HBO, I encountered *no* screen dimming/brightening with subtitles on.  My TV settings were all set to factory specs, except I believe "display" which was set to "movie".  Many of you have mentioned Netflix Subtitle options have helped, and mine have been set on: Small caps font, text size medium, shadow none, and black background with white text.

Lastly, one interesting note:  I have noticed that the letters within the subtitle itself sometimes (not often) change in brightness depending on the scene.  It is very minimal though and hardly visible.  I do not notice it unless a scene has a great contrast between light and dark.

I know this doesn't help everyone who bought 2018 models, but I wanted to share my experience for anyone wondering about getting a 2019 model instead!

userUzwCEepY75
Cosmic Ray

please do a test withnetflix built-in tv app... I guess majority of people here are complaining for this, if the roku works well good for you but not everyone is gonna buy a 3rd system for solving the issues with native apps. As I see the main issue is with some built-in apps that uses very bright subtitles and on HDR this have more imoact because the nits used for subs are higher of the recommended, for example f I use netfkix through my PS4 pro the brightness issue is a little better beause the app handled by ps4 uses subtitles with less brightness so that aleviate in certain degree the main issue but again this is not a 100% solution... one is how the app handles the brightness on subtittles and the other is the problematic local dimming and its blooming issues in general. If I disable local dimming in service menu all the issues related are gone (and you gain by far the better native contrast) but you loose the backlight control so not ideal solution

userEVlrXRMFD9
Constellation

Heyo,

I saw in other pages in this thread that people claimed the issue was similar regardless as to whether using the built-in app or a 3rd party, but I just tested it out on the built-in app per your request:

Apparently, it depends.  On Netflix's Daredevil (the confessional scene), the brightening did happen to a small degree.  But when watching opening scenes of the movie Lincoln (also on Netflix), it did not happen at all.

So it does seem the issue persists for certain content on the built-in app, but doesn't happen seemingly at all with a Roku.

I know not everyone is willing to spend money on a 3rd party system, but I wanted to share information for the sake of sharing just the same.  Hopefully the info I'm providing can help someone make a better decision as to what they want to do.

user9an7FpiCKJ
Constellation

Great, now all is left for Samsung to do is to fix the software via firmware that all the people that bought the 2018 models could actually enjoy watching their TVs.

Probably the only way they can "fix" it is to add an option to turn off local dimming completely. 

But they won't do it for reasons already described earlier in this forum so we'll just trade-in our defective Samsung TVs for other brand.

TalatPasha
Asteroid

Hello,

I just bought a 55Q8CNA six days ago (Istanbul / Turkey) and having the same problem. Now very much disappointed with this issue.

The TV is great in other specs, such as one connect box, strong sound performance, and rapid operating system. Way better performance than android. But still, I'm so unhappy with this subtitle and brightness problem.

In fact, not only with subtitles, but also when changing volume on dark scenes, the screen illuminates nonesensely!

I don't know what I'm going to do. Return it and then get which tv instead? 

What I know is; I'm terribly sorry because of buying this premium device. Smiley Sad

user9an7FpiCKJ
Constellation

"I know this doesn't help everyone who bought 2018 models, but I wanted to share my experience for anyone wondering about getting a 2019 model instead!"

Then why did you post such a detailed flattering review at all here?!

Getting a 2019 model instead?! Samsung decided to upgrade all of us with their disasterous 2018 models to 2019 models free of charge?

There are many 2018, 2019 or any other year model TVs of other brands that don't have this issue and I don't see people posting here detailed reviews about it.

An appearance of such post on this thread that doesn't address the issue at all but subtly (or even not so subtly) advertising 2019 models is infuriating!

userEVlrXRMFD9
Constellation

Heyo, I definitely get the frustration.  If I got a 2018 model, I would've thrown my TV out the window myself, I feel ya.

I posted not to be a paid Samsung shill, but because *I* was someone who was interested and didn't buy one because I read this thread.  I figured if there was anyone else like me out there who was hesitant to buy one cause they didn't know, maybe my post could help them.

My post was not an attempt to "solve" this issue as no one can solve it, there are 22 pages of people saying it can't truly be solved.  But I can help people who are looking for more information and comparisons between model years.

useryQy0blZxRz
Constellation

The screen brightness gets darker. 

@user37u1lW9Zgz wrote:

I have subtitles enabled on Netflix. 

The screen becomes noticeably brighter whenever subtitles are present on screen. When subtitles disappear, the screen brightness gets darker. 

This is very distracting while watching anything with dialogue and subtitles are on.

I have tried several different settings including changing the input from "Home Theater" to "PC," turned off all Eco Solution settings, tried all Local Dimming Settings (OFF is not an option).

I have already contacted customer service. They claimed this was the first issue like this they have ever heard of, which I find difficult to believe.

userfe2QdzSqpr
Astronaut

I do have a UE49KS8090 and same problem here. I believe this has nothing to do with Netflix or others (i do have the problem on Kodi) but with the dimming function of the samsung TV.

this is really sick, that @samsung cannot fix this problem (or did i miss a setting to fix this)?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Morty89
Constellation

Brightness cannot be changed by turning off local dimming in the service menu. But, does anyone know if, by turning off local dimming in the service menu, the brightness stay at the same level as before, or does it change to a specific level?

(this is not a reply to your comment. Couldn't figure out how to post to the thread Smiley LOL )