Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tygeezy
Cosmic Ray

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay, so in an earlier post I stated that firmware 1251 fixed subtitles brightness. After using the tv more I will walk the back a bit and say that isn't entirely true. I still have a problems with sdr content. I had mostly been watching hdr content, so I hadn't noticed it. HDR other than using HDR game mode still works perfectly. Dark scenes in both game of thrones and kingdom were brutal even with yellow subtitles.

However, I found a fix for you guys! For SDR content, go into expert picture settings and activate HDR+ mode and make sure local dimming is set to low. Go ahead and taylor hdr+ mode to your liking, but I like a very high backlight(45-50), high contrast (45+), color around 25 and probably the most important one is to change color space to auto as native seems to be on by default and in my opinion over saturates the picture. You also will want to disable motion plus, or turn the sliders of blur reduction and judder to 0 if you don like that since it defaults to on.

With these settings, standard dynamic range content looks fantastic for me and it completely removed subtitles increasing overall screen brightness in dark scenes. I might make a video about it later showing the huge difference.

Vendrell
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just watched GOT ep 5 1080p, and local dimming still have lot of issues with subs even with the 1251 update... So it's not only with SDR content.

Tygeezy
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Vendrell wrote:

Just watched GOT ep 5 1080p, and local dimming still have lot of issues with subs even with the 1251 update... So it's not only with SDR content.

Game of Thrones is SDR, not HDR. And yes, I too was having issues with it until I used HDR+ mode with local dimming set to low

Vendrell
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok mate, will try this and give some feedback later.

Hope I will be able to find back my setup because HDR+ change the colors so much.

Anyway thanks for the tips, will try your solution as soon as I can.

userm9wbkPOBsn
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

From Rtings brand new review of the Q80R 2019 ( https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled ) :

"Just like with all Samsung TVs that have local dimming, when subtitles appear you might notice distracting brightness changes in the scene.

Unfortunately, you can't disable local dimming through the regular TV menus.

We ran our local dimming tests with Local Dimming set to 'High.'"

userK6P1IG6grr
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The most disturbing thing of all guys is not the subtitles thing. It is that a huge company that became huge with our money are sitting on their chairs letting us write 30 whole pages of posts and they are doing nothing. Not even a reply stating that "Guys we are really sorry, we screw things up". An apology sometimes is even better than the solution itself.

This fault is totally amateur and they are still continuing using it to their next models as well. Whether they don't care for people watching content with subtitles or they are just incapable of fixing it. In any way they have to state something after all.

Peace ✌️ 

user9an7FpiCKJ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sure they enjoy reading our posts and laughing so hard about it.

That a few idiots (me included) expect them to fix something that they do intentionally (not allowing you to disable the local dimming that the review tests will end up with higher scores, there are no real tests today for subtitles brightness changes so they don't care about that but without local dimming as most of the reviewers like to disable it, there are no deep blacks, etc).

useriiGfusKjtu
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Tygeezy wrote:

Okay, so in an earlier post I stated that firmware 1251 fixed subtitles brightness. After using the tv more I will walk the back a bit and say that isn't entirely true. I still have a problems with sdr content. I had mostly been watching hdr content, so I hadn't noticed it. HDR other than using HDR game mode still works perfectly. Dark scenes in both game of thrones and kingdom were brutal even with yellow subtitles.

However, I found a fix for you guys! For SDR content, go into expert picture settings and activate HDR+ mode and make sure local dimming is set to low. Go ahead and taylor hdr+ mode to your liking, but I like a very high backlight(45-50), high contrast (45+), color around 25 and probably the most important one is to change color space to auto as native seems to be on by default and in my opinion over saturates the picture. You also will want to disable motion plus, or turn the sliders of blur reduction and judder to 0 if you don like that since it defaults to on.

With these settings, standard dynamic range content looks fantastic for me and it completely removed subtitles increasing overall screen brightness in dark scenes. I might make a video about it later showing the huge difference.

I was watching Dragged Across Concrete and I had some bad light flickering but I think this fixed it for me. At least it wasn't there anymore when I checked. With subtitles the problem is still there but it's better now. I didn't see any blooming anymore when watching from the side. I'll have to wait and see if it comes back. I really don't want to return the tv, too much hassle. 

GWO
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Tygeezy wrote:

However, I found a fix for you guys! For SDR content, go into expert picture settings and activate HDR+ mode and make sure local dimming is set to low.

Go ahead and taylor hdr+ mode to your liking, but I like a very high backlight(45-50), high contrast (45+), color around 25 and probably the most important one is to change color space to auto as native seems to be on by default and in my opinion over saturates the picture. You also will want to disable motion plus, or turn the sliders of blur reduction and judder to 0 if you don like that since it defaults to on.

Dude...

Where have you been?!

FINALLY a solution in settings that works for me and hopefully for many more.

Just watched Game of Thrones with dark scenes and subtitles and I’ll be damned; it didn’t light up! Just when I got hopeless.

I hope this works for many more people! They should def try this!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You’re a gem! 

No thanks to Samsung, never buying your tv again, that’s for sure.

Vendrell
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Really guys ?

I put HDR+, contrast and backlight 45+, Color 35, Native, Standard color image.

Just watched the last GOT episode 1080p from Kodi (Raspberry platform) and still bright when subs...

Someone can post exactly which settings do you use ? Or maybe thats from the fact I use Kodi to play that still affect ?