Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user37u1lW9Zgz
Astronaut

Brightness changes with subtitles

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have subtitles enabled on Netflix. 

The screen becomes noticeably brighter whenever subtitles are present on screen. When subtitles disappear, the screen brightness gets darker. 

This is very distracting while watching anything with dialogue and subtitles are on.

I have tried several different settings including changing the input from "Home Theater" to "PC," turned off all Eco Solution settings, tried all Local Dimming Settings (OFF is not an option).

I have already contacted customer service. They claimed this was the first issue like this they have ever heard of, which I find difficult to believe.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tygeezy
Cosmic Ray

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay, so in an earlier post I stated that firmware 1251 fixed subtitles brightness. After using the tv more I will walk the back a bit and say that isn't entirely true. I still have a problems with sdr content. I had mostly been watching hdr content, so I hadn't noticed it. HDR other than using HDR game mode still works perfectly. Dark scenes in both game of thrones and kingdom were brutal even with yellow subtitles.

However, I found a fix for you guys! For SDR content, go into expert picture settings and activate HDR+ mode and make sure local dimming is set to low. Go ahead and taylor hdr+ mode to your liking, but I like a very high backlight(45-50), high contrast (45+), color around 25 and probably the most important one is to change color space to auto as native seems to be on by default and in my opinion over saturates the picture. You also will want to disable motion plus, or turn the sliders of blur reduction and judder to 0 if you don like that since it defaults to on.

With these settings, standard dynamic range content looks fantastic for me and it completely removed subtitles increasing overall screen brightness in dark scenes. I might make a video about it later showing the huge difference.

308 REPLIES 308
userIos5ScGXn7
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem with a brand new Q7F 65in.  Still within my return period and I'm considering it.  I cant believe you cant turn this off..  such a disappointment.

Brunno-PT
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Any update or fix for this? I just bought a 55Q6FN two days ago and have to turn off the subtitles on Netflix because it's terrible.

userUNfnnKCii5
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Lots of people have been complaining about this all over the Internet. It really is terrible on my 65Q7FN with latest firmware. It's probably caused by the local dimming, but I can't be sure as it's not possible to disable that without accessing the service menu (and it appears you can't do that with the smart remote that comes with the tv).

We should start a petition to change that, though I doubt it would change anything. At leaset TV reviewers should mention the problem on their glowing reviews. Currently the tv is simply unfit for anyone who uses subtitles.

userI6OL6KL0Ju
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have the same issue, it's terrible. Do you know if Q9FN has the same problem?
userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userI6OL6KL0Ju wrote:
I have the same issue, it's terrible. Do you know if Q9FN has the same problem?

Hey. Yes, I have a q9fn and I got the same problem with brightness and subtitles watching hdr content. Any solutions?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is this subtitles through apps in the Smart Hub or through your cable box or player?

userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hey. Thanks for the reply. It happens to me with any content through cable, YouTube, Netflix via app, or just with a movie played by internal media player or plex
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What is the current software version you are running on the television? 

userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Last one: 1153