userJbsCjFj7RM
Constellation

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

I have the same problem.... 

i am considering to return it an buy a oled tv 

userb38kkyPS6s
Asteroid

That’s what I’m considering doing unless I go to Sony OLED or just Sony LCD or maybe a Pizio. Taking it off the wall and packaging it right back up. Disappointed... I wish I could show you the tv and it’s “black” it’s garbage absolute garbage. For a tv that cost me $4K my lcd I bought 12 years ago is way better. It was a Samsung I guess back then they cared. Good luck to everyone out there. 

userzVutmKL8VU
Constellation

Thank you for this info.

Im from Sweden too and havent got a response yet from Samsung Support.

I contacted them a few weeks ago.

I have the Q6 2018.

usera1D5EAnO7G
Constellation

I hope you are right and they're really gonna fix it, but I have many doubts, since it's a long term issue and very widespread, as this topic clearly shows.

I don't understand how Samsung had screw this up so badly and in so many TVs. Processing overlays (like subtitles, volume rocker and smart hub) with the main image, is simply stupid. From my point of view the fix should be easy, but since they've done nothing so far, I'm not that optimistic.

P.S. I live in Italy and I have a Q8FN since last december, and the problem with brightness is there from day one. And it's a shame.

userB9UTgPZZWm
Constellation

Having the same issue on my NU8000 55"...

As someone who works in software QA, this is absolutely ridiculous. How the [REDACTED] did this pass QA? On netflix, at least, it's completely unwatchable. Ruins the entire experience. I don't buy it that Samsung hasn't known about this issue. No freaking way. I see it all over the internet. Samsung - either FIX IT or just let us turn auto dimming OFF... 

userFbZzkohXq4
Astronaut

Bought new 55q6fn last week, first thing on which I tested TV was "The Haunting of the Hill House" and I was pretty disappointed. It was painful to watch with subtitles on, whole picture brightens, not only part around subtitles.

Setting netflix subtitles to semitransparent helped a bit, but still very annoying on dark scenes.

Payed double that I would ever pay for tv to get the better picture quality to find that the picture is not great but bad.

I'm concerned because there is no response from Samsung, at least they should tell if they are going to fix this through firmware or not. I'm thinking about returning tv.

userzVutmKL8VU
Constellation

Hello everybody.

I got a response from Samsung Sweden today.

Here it is:

-------------------------

Thank you for contacting Samsung Support.

When it comes to the problem you are experiencing with local dimming, it is something that is being investigated and has been sent higher up.

What you can test on your own is to update and adjust dimming to low, but can see that you have already tested it when you called in so for the moment it is unfortunately just to wait

If you have any other problems or questions, please feel free to contact us again by phone, email or chat.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely / With kind regards

Anders

Samsung Support

MarcmarkS
Constellation

I chose to wait instead of returning the TV. I hope I do not regret it.

userhcsD8C1U3C
Asteroid

There was a disucssion on the rtings site which I can't for the life of me find just before christmas about this exact problem. Basically the issue was so pronounced with Samsung Tvs (compared to viewing content without subtitles) they have decided to actually modify their ratings scheme going forwards to include a review of the subtitles capabilities of TVs they review.

It is no news that Samsung QLED Tvs have poor local diming capabilities like most LCD TVs. With 4K and HDR this issue is more pronounced than ever. Ultimately there is no fix for it other than getting an OLED or a full array TV which has enough zones to limit the light being sent to the subtitles area of the screen. 

Software changes can reduce the effect to a limited degree, and if you can change the colour of the subtitles from white  to say yellow, that should improve things somewhat. However it's always going to be noticably brighted due to the way the panel is lit.

userl9HCX1PkwW
Constellation

Its just a software problem. HDR, UHD are beautiful on the qled TV. Only when there's a layer(like subtitles or the samsung menu interface)above the movie that is playing than there is this problem of the whole scenery brightens up.

It has nothing to do with white being next to dark colours, because you would have the same problem in HDR without subtitles on. Subtitles are a layer just as the Samsung menu interface is. If they can write the HDR script differently to behave when there is a bright layer above the movie than we're saved. If that's even possible that is.

Crossing fingers.