Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your answer

I confirmed this problem is general asking the same question to other people (with q9fn or q8fn/q8dn). It seems is a problem with the local dimming algorhytm of samsung

To make it more practical; these are some videos of the same problem by Vincent Teoh (HDTVtest)

Note the residual glow AND the backlight brightness fluctuation of the WHOLE pannel when the subtitles appear

Minute 5:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suq-2Z5dAkA&t=

Minute 3:38 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tuBrVSTTMs&t=

We review the 55-inch Samsung Q9FN, and found a few differences from the 65in Q9FN we tested one month ago. We also point out the improvements brought about by the latest firmware update of 1103 at the time we filmed this video in June 2018. The specific model we reviewed was the 55in Samsung ...
We review the Samsung Q8DN 4K QLED TV with full-array local dimming (FALD) direct-lit LED backlighting. This model is also marketed as the Q8FN in North America. The Samsung Q8D is available in screen sizes of 55, 65 and also 75 inches (we forgot to mention the 75-inch version in the video). Our ...
userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So the problem is there. Hdtvtest professional calibrator talks about this problem but there is no solution. If there is an algorithm issue then is only software (dimming) so they could improve it in next updates. But could be interesting to confirm with Samsung they are concerned about the problem and they are working on it

userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Anyone with same problem please post

userplCR4S0Xfk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem on 55q6

Hyperion
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased the 75" Q8FN, and am seeing light/dark fluctuations, quite obviously happening with subtitles.  How can Samsung *not* notice this?  How are more reviewers not calling this out??  Pausing netflix causes all kinds of these fluctuations, but it also happens in many dark scenes, appearing as roaming patches of dark 'clouds' and sometimes vignetting.  Its very pronounced at factory reset settings, but can be somewhat improved by turning off ALL the eco, dynamic, & auto settings switch to Movie instead of Standard, but its still there, just less often. 

I've spoke with a Samsung rep, and he asked me to email him my settings, and then some netflix examples of where its showing, which seems like a fools errand since it so easy to spot.  I was hoping that I just had a defective unit, but it seems fairly widespread from these comments and HDTVTests review.  If they can't solve it within my extended refund time, I'm returning it. 

I paid $5000CAD for this TV, this should not be happening.  This is my 4th Samsung TV..  If this is the state of their flagship product, I wonder if it will be my last?

userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Hyperion wrote:

I purchased the 75" Q8FN, and am seeing light/dark fluctuations, quite obviously happening with subtitles.  How can Samsung *not* notice this?  How are more reviewers not calling this out??  Pausing netflix causes all kinds of these fluctuations, but it also happens in many dark scenes, appearing as roaming patches of dark 'clouds' and sometimes vignetting.  Its very pronounced at factory reset settings, but can be somewhat improved by turning off ALL the eco, dynamic, & auto settings switch to Movie instead of Standard, but its still there, just less often. 

I've spoke with a Samsung rep, and he asked me to email him my settings, and then some netflix examples of where its showing, which seems like a fools errand since it so easy to spot.  I was hoping that I just had a defective unit, but it seems fairly widespread from these comments and HDTVTests review.  If they can't solve it within my extended refund time, I'm returning it. 

I paid $5000CAD for this TV, this should not be happening.  This is my 4th Samsung TV..  If this is the state of their flagship product, I wonder if it will be my last?

Hello there

Thanks for your answer

I think the whole problem is firmware, the algorithm they use with the dimming. I tried switching off the local dimming (using service menu) and it worked but which many side effects (bleeding, blacks not deep, brightness to low in HDR...) But worked about the fluctuations

Please keep me updated, with the info Samsung will give you about the problem

Hyperion
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Interesting, I don't have an 'Off' option for my Local Dimming, only 'Low', which I tried, and the issue still remains. For reference, I'm watching on XBoxOneX, Netflix - The Haunting of Hill House S1: E10 @ 5:58 when the car drives up in the darkness, there is plenty of this luminance fluctuation.
userJHRNiUEfei
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey there

Just to see my problem I have recorded a video

Is from Netflix HDR Daredevil. First episode about minute 2:00 to 4:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQZ6qKw2D44

Do you notice? is very hard at this scene

Could you confirm the problem with your TV? thanks!

Look how the dimming of my tv works. Is it common or a faulty pannel?
rshmn163
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue here. I experience it when increasing the volume, Left side of the screen brightens up. Between this and the Samsung OneRemote not being able to control my Samsung HT system, I'm debating on whether or not to bring this back and try another brand.

userI6OL6KL0Ju
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is the problem on my Q7FN. Using Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House Ep 3 at the begining. Terrible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxpsTIfBP8Q&feature=youtu.be

This video shows the terrible brightness increase in dark scenes whenever subtitle is displayed. This happens mainly in HDR content. Things tried (and didn't work): Local Dimming as Low, Turned off all ECO options. This is happening not only in Netflix. Any source, preferably HDR, with dark scenes