cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjornengqvist
Constellation

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

I have the same issue on a 55 inch Q6FN. And as most people have pointed out, it shows the most in Netflix HDR. Like Daredevil.

There have to be a way to fix this in software? To "lock" the brightness of the TV somehow?
MarcmarkS
Constellation

I received a Q6FN recently, and it was okay, until I started watching Ozark...

Unfortunately, this flash blinks between light and dark in dark scenes (subtitles ON-OFF), ruining any experience of these contents.

userYqNVBqwweO
Constellation

I find a "fix" for my Netflix problem by changing the white subtitle to half transparent. After that change the subtitle was more grey and did not effect the dimming. Now I'm happy again 😀

userI6OL6KL0Ju
Constellation

Unfortunately, with some foreign languages it is not possible to control subtitles color in Netflix. So problem is there unsolved. Help!

MarcmarkS
Constellation

Another Example...

Interesting to see that in the scene has a woman in white dress, but is the subtitles that causes the problem.

(q6fn / 2018)

https://youtu.be/gibM4rhB3to

Test with and without subtitles.
userCKDEuITXjb
Constellation

Had this exact issue with a brand new 65" NU8000 about 3 weeks ago. Returned it a few days later. However, googling the issue found many Sony owners having the same problem. Think it might just be down to the edge-lit panel.

Funny that so many mention "Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix, cause that's when I first noticed the issue also. First few minutes of episode 1 were borderline unwatchable, thanks to the brightness "bloom" with the appearance of subtitles.

Played around with the settings for an hour or so and the only thing that slightly helped was turning on Ambient Light Sensor. If I turned down the brightness or backlight even more as well, sure...the issue was improved but the screen was so dark as to hinder the whole viewing experience. As people in the Sony forum suggested, I tried changing the subtitle color to yellow with a black border and it didn't help.

Not sure if this subtitle issue is only with streaming apps like Netflix or if it infects Blu-Ray/Directv watching also.

Not sure what my next TV is gonna be and whether a FALD (full-array) like the 6-series TCL might be an improvement over edge-lit for this issue. But it's a shame, because the NU8000 had a beautiful picture and it was a delight for gaming also.

user5VX7ZPOxIc
Constellation

Same problem here with a brandnew 55Q9FN bought in Germany.

Even with an expensive full array panel the TV shows this very annoying behavior. Not only  Netflix but also Prime content creates the same error - even when watching non-hdr series (Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for example). 

Strangely a short test with the Blade Runner 2049 UHD (4k HDR) played over my Xbox One X worked MUCH better.

I'm not sure If i'll return the tv or should wait for a fix.

Started a thread in the german Samsung forum adressing this issue - hope that more people make noise...

Any comment from Samsung would be very helpful!

MarcmarkS
Constellation

People come here for a hope. Smiley Embarassed

I do not want to return my TV for a problem that is apparently solvable or mitigated via firmware

So, a comment from Samsung would be appreciated... Robot wink
userghS2Pp7xaO
Constellation

@Hyperion wrote:

A samsung rep came to my house, to see these luminance fluctuations which are made worse with sub-titles, which was nice service.  We started with a factory reset, and watching some dark scenes, and wow did it look terrible.  He agreed.  He adjusted settings and made it better, but its still there, and noticeable to me.    

He explained that ultimately, FALD (full array local dimming) with sub-title text on dark backgrounds, will always create bloom, and can only be improved upon with the addition of more dimming zones.  He mentioned the Q9FN has 10x the zones, so it can be more localized blooming, but it'll still happen.  I can understand that, but whats not acceptable to me is that this TVs local dimming algorithm is working in such a way to create luminance fluctuations.  

Due to this issue, and the very poor viewing angle, I'm returning it tomorrow, and am going to try the Sony x900F, I'll even get $1000CAD back, since the x900F is less expensive!

I wish OLED didn't burn in with video game HUDs..   Smiley Sad 

Which are the settings that made it look better pls share, Ty!

userbpDImvjB7N
Constellation

Just got the QE55Q9F last week and tried to watch Incredibles 2 4K yesterday and had the same issue. Tried every single energy/light setting on the TV, none of them worked out. Backlight is keep going and down, drove me crazy, made whole movie unwatchable.