cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userbpDImvjB7N
Constellation

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just got the QE55Q9F last week and tried to watch Incredibles 2 4K yesterday and had the same issue. Tried every single energy/light setting on the TV, none of them worked out. Backlight is keep going and down, drove me crazy, made whole movie unwatchable.

userbgpqz9J8VJ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Any updates on this issue? I just got a Q7FN and it's impossible to watch anything. The screen brightness is turn every movie into a bad experience. How come Samsung hasn't solved it yet??

Amenalien
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's not even just in Netflix or in movies. I noticed it while playing PS4, so it ruins videogames as well, it destroyed all the atmosphere and immersion the game was trying to create.

Seriously, considering the money it cost, is the worst TV I've ever owned. 

Even 400€ tvs don't do these sh*t.

ikarione
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem with me. I bought the 55Q6FN and this is annoying. There are a lot of people complaining about this in Brazil. When the subititles are gray, yellow, or with black edges, the problem is minimized. But it's a shame that the 2018 tv can not do what my 2012 tv did.

userCKDEuITXjb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@ikarione wrote:

Same problem with me....But it's a shame that the 2018 tv can not do what my 2012 tv did.

Now this is very interesting. You're saying a 2017 TV (Samsung?) did NOT have this brightness/subtitle issue? Please tell me what TV that 2017 is.

I think I'd be willing to go back to a slightly older model in order to have this issue solved. But maybe the issue would come back if we were to update the firmware on that 2017 model??

EDIT: I just saw you wrote 2012, not 2017. My bad. I also have a Samsung LCD monitor from 2010 and it doesn't have this issue.

i'm glad I returned the TV but I think this is an issue with all current edge-lit and possibly also FALD TV's. Only the fancy and expensive OLED's would likely not have his issue.

ikarione
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userCKDEuITXjb wrote:

@ikarione wrote:

Same problem with me....But it's a shame that the 2018 tv can not do what my 2012 tv did.

Now this is very interesting. You're saying a 2017 TV (Samsung?) did NOT have this brightness/subtitle issue? Please tell me what TV that 2017 is.

I think I'd be willing to go back to a slightly older model in order to have this issue solved. But maybe the issue would come back if we were to update the firmware on that 2017 model??

EDIT: I just saw you wrote 2012, not 2017. My bad. I also have a Samsung LCD monitor from 2010 and it doesn't have this issue.

i'm glad I returned the TV but I think this is an issue with all current edge-lit and possibly also FALD TV's. Only the fancy and expensive OLED's would likely not have his issue.

No problem! A funny fact: I changed my relatively cheap TCL 49C2US(I belevie that this is not a global model), because  is out of order. TCL gave the money back and I bought this 55Q6FN. The TCL have edge-lit panel and don't have this problem too! I used for one year witihout any problem with subtitle....Smiley LOL

userCKDEuITXjb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@ikarione wrote:

@userCKDEuITXjb wrote:

@ikarione wrote:

No problem! A funny fact: I changed my relatively cheap TCL 49C2US(I belevie that this is not a global model), because  is out of order. TCL gave the money back and I bought this 55Q6FN. The TCL have edge-lit panel and don't have this problem too! I used for one year witihout any problem with subtitle....Smiley LOL

The only two TV's I'm considering as alternatives to the problematic Samsung are the TCL 6-Series and the LG (don't recall the model # right now). If all the edge-lit and FALD panels are going to have this subtitle/brightness blooming issue, at least I want to get a less expensive tv. Very disappointing to hear even the Samsung Q series also has this issue. Shocking that this hasn't been addressed. I'm seeing messages on other forums detaiiing this issue with both Samsung and Sony sets going back to 2016.

Ideally, I want a smaller TV (43-49") for gaming and a bit later, a 65" TV for viewing + gaming. Just not sure how to proceed because I'm sure all the TV's out there will have the subtitle brightness issue, except for the very expensive OLED screens, which also suffer from burn-in. Seems there's no way to win??

userVbRBP2vvLG
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also coming here to confirm that I have the same issue with my new q6fn, and it's really frustrating!

userCDplMVKeNB
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here 55Q6FN Smiley Frustrated

userCKDEuITXjb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

By all indications, this issue has to do with the poor local dimming of the TV (1.8 out of 10 on rtings.com). Yes, even the Q gets bad grades for this.

By any chance does anyone have a Samsung NU7100 TV? That TV doesn't have any local dimming, so thinking it might not have the subtitle brightness issue??