cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcmarkS
Constellation

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It definitely looks like something that can be improved ...

A forum user recently reported that through the developer menu he was able to change the "subtitles brightness" that "solved" the problem in the native TV subtitles.

(but this change does not apply to other subtitles, such as netflix subtitles)

userISFOcHmAqh
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I contacted samsung and they told me this Is only an issue with my tv, and they will need to send a technician. Cool Samsung. Anyways, a really easy way to test this is to search a backlight test on youtube. Click the mute and unmute button, you can clearly see half the screen light up, this is a MAJOR issue. I cant believe samsung could let this through and then say its not a thing, and I dont understand why reviewers dont mention this!!

userCKDEuITXjb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userISFOcHmAqh wrote:

I contacted samsung and they told me this Is only an issue with my tv, and they will need to send a technician. Cool Samsung. Anyways, a really easy way to test this is to search a backlight test on youtube. Click the mute and unmute button, you can clearly see half the screen light up, this is a MAJOR issue. I cant believe samsung could let this through and then say its not a thing, and I dont understand why reviewers dont mention this!!

Samsung is wrong. This is not an issue with "just your TV". All the edge-lit Samsungs and Q series have this issue. I contacted the critic who wrote the review of the NU8000 series for rtings.com via email and he said this issue is due to the poor local dimming of this TV (and the Q also). I believe it scored 1.8 out of 10 for local dimming.

The critic told me he'd be adding a note about the subtitle issue to his review but not sure when it will be updated.

user5VX7ZPOxIc
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had a chat with the Service-Hotline about the subtitle issue: Samsung will send a technician. I'll report the results.

(55Q9FN)

userVbRBP2vvLG
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please doSmiley Happy.

I'm really curious on what they are going to say.

user5VX7ZPOxIc
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Problem solved, at least for me: i've returned the 55Q9FN and got a Panasonic TX-55FZW804 OLED. Good choice so far!

I liked the design, the remote control, free sync for gaming over Xbox and cable management of the Samsung Q9 and miss this features a little bit. But the picture quality is improved dramatically! And thats what it is about, isnt it? No subtitle issue of course, absolute black and a lot more control / settings for the tech nerds. No TV+ and commercials in the menu, yeah! Sound of the TV is much better too. 

I hope Samsung will fix the problem some day and the TVs will work as intended.

userTXbCirKZkZ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Same problem on a newly bought Q7FN here. It's of course more visible in HDR but it's there on SDR also. It's ridiculous. And what's more ridiculous is that Samsung doesn't say/do anything about it.
userLHHDG7q2vj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

Have same problem on my 55NU8000.

It drives me crazy on dark scenes.

userxYB9jDLeFB
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

A week ago I bought the QLED 65 8curve and have the same problem with local dimming. It is happening at Netflix with a dark bar at the bottom. The color of the subtitles goes up and down from white to blue-gray. Is annoying for a TV in this price range and its a real problem that playing world wide. Hope Samsung comes quickly with a update/solution for all the loyal buyers of these QLED TV´s.

userzVutmKL8VU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have bought the 75” q6 about 3 weeknd ago, and the second day i noticed this problem right away.

I have talked with the samsung support and sent them the link to this thread and also a couple of youtube clips and other forums about this issue. And i sent them a videoclip of my tv when this problem shows up.

So samsung is saying there is nothing wrong with my TV and basiclly i just have to live with it. This is crazy, i have tried every setting to make this issue go away but it dosent. I have set Netflix subtiles to the smallest and choose the yellow color for it, and that does help.

But i see this issue even without there is subtiles, when there is a dark scene and some light appears in the scene.